Sittercity’s mission is to make child care finally work. We pioneered tech enabled child care in 2001, and we connect millions of parents with babysitters and nannies every year. Recently recognized as a Chicago Innovation Award winner and one of the best places to work by Crain’s and Built In Chicago, we are building a platform that is radically simplifying the way we find, book and pay for trusted care. Headquartered in Chicago, we serve families and caregivers nationwide.
What You’ll Do
Sittercity is hiring a Manager of Engineering to attract, develop and grow a high-performing engineering team. This Engineering Manager will be managing our platform squad(s). We are currently at one platform squad but will be growing to two squads. This is an exciting opportunity to join the team reinventing the online childcare industry. Childcare is a $35B+ category and less than 1% is tech enabled. You will work collaboratively with product, marketing, analytics, Customer Success, and engineering teams to develop and deliver products that are scalable and reliable. This is an exciting opportunity to drive growth in the category by executing on our technical vision and product roadmap. We’re looking for a leader who is equally passionate about hiring, mentoring, and leading engineers as they are solving complex problems.
- Collaborate with other teams to help plan and prioritize product and technical roadmaps. Lead the execution and delivery of the roadmaps by helping the team understand the larger context of their work, and by supporting your team members.
- Attract, develop and retain a high-performing team, offering ongoing feedback, professional growth opportunities, and overall career guidance.
- Champion communication and trust between cross-functional teams.
- Drive technical and strategic vision of the team and help translate day-to-day issues into coherent and robust systems.
- Ensure the timely delivery of engineering initiatives while continually raising the performance and quality bar.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn.
- Foster best practices in software engineering and agile processes
- 5+ years of experience in software design, application development, and scalable architectures
- Experience building and maintaining applications in a 24/7 production environment
- Professional experience in object oriented application languages, RDMS, caching solutions, message/queuing protocols/systems, API design and development
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching, and developing top engineering talent
- Successful track record of managing small agile development teams
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain complex technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Ability to provide honest, direct, and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and Go are nice to have.
Why you should join us
We offer an innovative and fun environment that rewards passionate and curious individuals. This is a fully remote opportunity. Additionally, you will receive the following benefits:
- Company events, social outings and volunteer opportunities
- Generous paid time off policy, including sick and holiday
- Industry-leading parental leave
- Tuition assistance, college coach, and enhanced family support
- Great benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, disability, life, and 401(k) matching
- Sittercity membership, back up child/adult/elder care, and child care center discounts
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law. Sittercity participates in E-Verify and background checks all employees.