Engineering Manager - Identity and Access Management (IAM) Platform at Canonical (Atlanta, GA)
Canonical seeks a software engineering manager to drive the development of an identity and access management solution for managed applications offerings, and for web single sign-on (SSO) capabilities pertaining to internal products.
The platform will be built on top of the best-of-breed identity management projects and delivered as Charmed Operators using Juju, Canonical's operator lifecycle management solution. The identity and access management platform will provide:
- Authentication server acting as standalone SAML and OpenID identity provider
- Identity brokerage integrating leading 3rd party public and enterprise identity providers
- User federation with enterprise LDAP servers and Active Directory tenants
- Management GUI and APIs enabling simple administration of users, roles and integrations
This is an exciting opportunity for a technical software engineering leader who is passionate about open source and identity. The role of this team is to build the future of identity and access management for Canonical products and services.
To succeed in this application you must be outstanding at maths and sciences, and have built high quality software, learned about open source ideally by working on it directly, and be looking for an engineering management role with a company that makes mission-critical products for the global market. You should also be familiar with the open source environment, and want to build products in partnership with a community.
As an engineering manager, you must also have excellent judgement about people - their motivations, abilities, developmental needs and prospects for success.
Engineering at Canonical requires hands-on code contribution and review, as well as architectural leadership. You will need to demonstrate insight into performance and quality engineering practices and ensure your team embraces effective disciplines on both fronts. You will need to be comfortable holding contributors accountable for work ethic and results. You must also have an understanding of security practices and principles and the impact that engineering choices have on product security.
We expect teams to deliver well-documented products and work with design professionals to shape the product experience. You should relish the opportunity to shape and direct and develop an engineering team that is happy and brilliant, and produces a product that will be a pleasure to use and to evolve.
For this role you must have deep, proven experience with Python and preferably some experience with Go. Experience with IAM tools and protocols is a must. This role is centred around driving a team that delivers high quality software, not just the integration of existing solutions.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of engineers to ship software that automates open source identity solutions, integrating established standards and protocols, like SAML, OpenID, Oauth, PKI, LDAP
- Build an integration layer for popular enterprise and cloud identity providers (e.g. Okta, Azure Active Directory, AWS Cognito, etc.)
- Build and manage a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Ensure that your team delivers great products that users love by maintaining a culture of quality and engineering excellence
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
- You have knowledge of software , standards, protocols and concepts in the identity space like OpenID, Oauth, SAML, Kerberos, LDAP and Active Directory
- You have experience integrating or deploying identity and access management solutions to enterprise customers
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have a software engineering background, preferably with Python, Go and Java experience
- You are familiar with Kubernetes and excited to optimise workload operations on it
- You value secure coding and standards, and enjoy working on teams that do the same
- You have a bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent
- You love embracing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible, with a view to building products that improve how people operate software and infrastructure everywhere
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.