We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
The mission of the Instacart App Shop team is to help people nourish themselves and their loved ones by creating the world’s best grocery shopping experience. We do this by improving the core shopping experience for customers to solve more, or to better solve, their needs. Those needs can be as wide ranging as, “I need cheese, but I don’t know what kind”, to, “I need this app to load on a 3g connection while on the subway so I can feed my family on time tonight.”
Creating the world’s best shopping experience for our customers requires a variety of skills from good product sense, to deep understanding of the complex technical systems running our massive product catalog. The challenge of this team lies in balancing and driving experiences for our customers both in creating new features and also in creating new infrastructure. The Storefront team is multi-disciplinary in that we work on machine learning services, we work on iOS, Android, front-end web, and Rails, and our architecture is widely depended upon throughout the company.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a team of full stack engineers (iOS, Android, front-end, Rails) in both the development of features and of infrastructure/architecture.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
- Strong product sense and care for user experience
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.