GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Engineering Manager, Environment Automation directly manages the engineering team responsible for tasks relating to GitLab environment provisioning and configuration. Team consists of Site Reliability Engineers and Backend Engineers. The Engineering Manager's responsibility is primarily their team. They need to be familiar with GitLab's underlying technologies and processes to be able to support their team growth, as well as be the final decisive vote in cases where the team is blocked on a decision.
Their primary focus is building a world-class team (hiring and coaching), and putting them in the best position to succeed. They must also efficiently coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.Responsibilities
- Hire an incredible team that lives our values
- Improve the happiness and productivity of the team
- Hold regular 1:1's with team members
- Drive efforts and ensure efficiency around GitLab production environments automation
- Manage team projects
- Work across sections within engineering
- Improve the quality, security and performance of the product
- Work on small code changes outside of the critical path
- 3+ years managing software development and site reliability engineering teams
- Strong technical background
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization
- Experience running a consumer scale platform
- Product company experience
- Enterprise software company experience or startup experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
- Exquisite communication skills
- Leadership at GitLab
- Experience in managing a remote team
- Ability to use GitLab
Engineering Manager, Environment Automation, have the following job-family performance indicators:
- Hiring Actual vs Plan
- Handbook Update Frequency
- Team Member Retention
Learn more about the Engineering Management - Infrastructure roles, including compensation at the engineering management - infrastructure page.Hiring Process
- Selected candidates will be invited to a 30 minute Screening Call with a Recruiter
- Next, selected candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Peer Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Next, candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Technical Interview with an Engineer from the Infrastructure team
- Next, candidates will be invited to a second 45 minute Peer Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Finally, selected candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Hiring Manager with the Director of Infrastructure, Platform
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional Team Members at the Hiring Manager's discretion
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.