The Engineering Operations Manager will lead a team comprised of various strategic functions that will enable the Engineering Organization to move faster by identifying, driving and owning initiatives that will accelerate our success and scale. This leader will report into the Core Systems Area Lead. This Engineering Operations Manager will identify, define and own the end to end success of the technology organization’s operational processes. They will deep dive into the root cause of operational inefficiencies and apply a strategic approach to achieve solutions. They will partner with key Engineering leaders and other partner teams to identify new initiatives, and define clear goals and success criteria. They will exercise continuous improvement, to help our teams perform at their optimum potential.
- Coach and mentor your team members, direct reports and peers to be the best they can be while attracting and hiring key talent to continue to up-level the organization
- Sets clear expectations and creates a positive work environment based on accountability and ownership
- Ensure your teams are able to effectively deliver on short term goals while enabling the engineering organization to raise the bar on quality and agility
- Work with development engineering and product leaders to define and execute a long term quality strategy
- Be a catalyst to promote ‘Developer Productivity’ mindset throughout the cross-functional organization
- Exercise sound judgment, discretion, and timeliness in decision making
- Promote continuous development and improvement within your team and broader engineering organization
- Develop a strong working relationship with your team and all cross functional stakeholders
- Enable effective decision making and risk/return tradeoffs using quantitative and qualitative quality metrics
- Lead the curation, management, and support of EPD Knowledge Management
- Lead Education & Org Development responsible for all Engineering Education initiatives (eng onboarding, mentorship, technical training, eng manager education), internal Product Education (educating Dropboxers about Dropbox products and supporting Dropbox’s LMS), general company onboarding, and technical education for all Dropboxers.
- Ensure that our onboarding process effectively integrates new Dropboxers into the company with informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team structure and goals
- Understand the operational needs of the engineering team through the eyes of the Software Engineers, Site Reliability Engineers, Security Engineers, Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Engineering Managers at Dropbox.
- Collaborate with senior management to establish strategic priorities, plans and objectives for improvement of our Developer Productivity.
- Work closely with Engineering Managers and Product to improve our workflows and communicate progress on deliverables, and provide insights to define and drive the objectives and key results of the Engineering organization
- Responsible for the final decisions on implementation of processes and ensure operational effectiveness. Help team members manage execution on key large projects that involve planning with several cross organizational teams.
- You will contribute centrally to the development of organizational policies within Engineering and help us translate business strategy into functional plans and guide execution across the organization
- Create, manage, and execute on large-scale processes such as improving our on-call system, managing our Product releases, managing our bug management processes, running planning and goal setting processes across Engineering
- You will help solve complex logistical, planning problems using data driven approaches
- Be metrics oriented and instill and lead with a deep understanding and application of key metrics across all engineering areas
- Improve our tooling to help with better automation of processes
- You have contributed significantly to the strategy of your organization by translating business priorities into functional plans and executing them at scale
- You have rolled out complex process initiatives and ensured smooth adoption across large organizations before
- 7-10+ years overall experience as a Manager in an engineering organization.
- 5+ years of management experience managing a team of 5-10 with a diverse set of functions like: Technical Program Managers, Program Managers, Technical Writers, Engineers, etc.
- Experience driving diverse or company-wide programs.
- Demonstrated ability and experience to influence, develop productive working relationships, and lead technical teams and key stakeholders from different business functions.
- Have diverse technical acumen--actively contribute to technical discussions, proactively identify challenges and risks, working closely with engineers and product manager on addressing challenges, and form mitigation plans.
- You are a creative problem solver that enjoys solving problems from the ground-up for large teams and have demonstrated developing new methods to solving problems you have encountered
- You are eager to build. You scale processes and your team to meet the needs of the company and support its growth with data
- You motivate, rather than command. You have strong in-bound listening skills and strong outbound communication skills, both verbal and written. You have a strong history and interest in serving your reports and multiplying their effect
- You lead from the front by setting a good example and being willing to tackle less glamorous tasks, holding yourself accountable, and frankly acknowledging mistakes
Our Engineering Career Framework is viewable by anyone outside the company and describes what’s expected for our engineers at each of our career levels. Check out our blog post on this topic and more here.
For candidates hired in Colorado, the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for the role is $175,400 - $206,400 - $237,400.
This salary/OTE range represents the low, middle, and high end of the salary or OTE (Sales roles) range for this position, and is subject to change. To determine a Dropboxer’s starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. This position may be considered a promotional opportunity.
Salary/OTE is just one component of Dropbox’s total rewards package. All regular employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Dropbox is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all Dropboxers and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- (US Only) Competitive 401(k) Plan with a generous company match and immediate vesting
- Flexible Time Off/Paid Time Off, paid holidays, 11 Company-wide PTO days, Volunteer time off and more
- Protection Plans including; Life Insurance, Disability Insurance and Travel benefit plans
- Perks Allowance to be used on what matters most to you, whether that’s wellness, learning and development, food & groceries, and much more
- Parental benefits including; Parental Leave, Child and Adult Care, Day Care FSA (US Only), Fertility Benefits (US Only), Adoption and Surrogacy support and Lactation Support
- Mental Health and Wellness benefits
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
Additional benefits details are available upon request.