Engineering Manager, Data at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA)
| San Francisco, CA | Hybrid
Sorry, this job was removed at 10:52 p.m. (CST) on Friday, February 18, 2022
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager for our Data Platform team who can help us build the systems to scale up our data acquisition, ingestion, and processing efforts to 100x where it is today. Data is core to everything that Opendoor does – we use it to price homes, make business decisions, and power experiences for our customers. As we grow as a company, we will have to scale up our systems to handle ever-increasing amounts of data. As the engineering manager for this team, you will mentor and lead the software engineers that will be at the center of this data. Your team will build the platform to empower the rest of the company to seamlessly ingest and process data, track data quality, report reliability metrics, and catalog output tables. Our future data science research direction, machine learning strategy, and analytics will run through your team. As a hands-on leader for this team, we will be looking to you to steward the vision and lead the charge to support that future.
As an Engineer Manager, you will:
- Help build and lead great software teams to deliver world-class systems
- Support and grow your direct reports and peer teams
- Champion engineering and data science, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers
- Working closely with product and data science, help engineers gain business context, improve prioritization skills, and hone their craft
- Promote an engaged, product-focused, positive engineering culture
- Uncover better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it
We are looking for teammates who have:
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Quantitative experience, either via previous job experience or a degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- 4+ years of experience building production software systems
- 2+ years managing data platform related products (data processing, data warehousing, data ingestion)
- Prior experience with data processing technology (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) and workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, dbt)
- Prior experience handling complex external data ingestion involving a variety of types of data
- Proven ability to use data and metrics to drive decisions
- History of independently leading cross-functional projects and prioritizing work based on business impact
- Ability to understand the needs of stakeholders, define business requirements, and architect systems that will scale and extend to accommodate them over time
- Expertise breaking down complex problems, documenting solutions, and sequencing work to make iterative improvements
- A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting customers through innovation and creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent communication skills and high attention to detail
- Experience hiring, mentoring and leading teams of software engineers, data engineers, and project managers
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 85% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Read Full Job Description