[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
At Quora, we believe that fostering a strong engineering culture in inclusive teams is the key to building a great company and product. As a manager in the Product Systems Engineering group, you will lead and grow a team that owns end-to-end engineering for core user-facing product initiatives. You’ll work closely with other product development leaders to plan, prioritize, and deliver scalable, reliable products that delight our growing base of 300 million+ monthly unique visitors on Quora.
Example areas you and your team might drive:
- Feature development from the ground up for products like Spaces, to enable accessible knowledge sharing for all (https://qr.ae/pNiW5G)
- Growth, engagement, and technical systems scaling efforts to better distribute relevant content to interested readers
- Lead and grow a team of full-stack, frontend and backend software engineers to deliver high-impact projects in a consumer-facing domain.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of team members.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Design, Data Science, and other Engineering teams to shape the team roadmap and ensure successful execution towards our strategy.
- Work with the Engineering management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire Engineering team.
- Work with Recruiting to grow the team, including sourcing, interviewing, branding, and onboarding.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 2+ years of software engineering experience architecting, building, and scaling user-facing products
- 1+ years of direct people management experience in a technology company
- Strong understanding of either distributed systems and scalability, and/or of the web applications stack
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated history of exceptional mentorship and people development skills
- 5+ years of software engineering experience architecting, building, and scaling user-facing products
- 4+ years of direct people management experience in a technology company
- Familiarity with Python, React, GraphQL, and MySQL or similar relational databases
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure