Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity, assuming candidates have eligible working rights and a sufficient timezone overlap with their team. As our offices re-open, Atlassians can choose to work remotely or return to an office, unless it’s necessary for the role to be performed in the office. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
This role is for a primarily front end engineering manager on the Performance and Front End Infrastructure Team, in the Backbone group in Confluence Cloud Engineering.
As an engineering manager on the Confluence Backbone team, you will be to lead a cross-skills team of engineers, working together with product and design partners to build out features and components from the ground up in a modern, scalable, and performant way. You’ll be part of a wider team who’s mission is to improve the performance of the Confluence Cloud Experience. In order to achieve this goal, you’ll need to build and create the right tooling and instrumentation to support these efforts.
Your greatest responsibility will be looking after the individuals reporting to you – mentoring and supporting them in their professional development, unlocking their potential, and challenging them to step outside their comfort zone to grow and excel. You will work in a fast-paced environment where you will deliver rapidly and incrementally, experiment to explore new ideas, and focus on continuous improvement in every aspect of what we do.
The best person for this role is someone that has strong team leadership skills and a collaborative spirit - someone who is comfortable saying "I don't know" and working on finding solutions rather than starting with an assumption. The team needs someone who can ask questions, learn from others and turn chaos into order. This team often deals with highly complex component so requires someone who can see the bigger picture, distill that into goals and vision for the team, and not get lost in the details.
On their first day, we'll expect the candidates to have:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 3+ years in engineering management following Agile development processes and leading a high performing development team
- Experience developing and operating web applications, built with React or similar tech stack
- Demonstrated experience building large scale web software
- Experience driving and managing technically challenging projects
- Managing and coaching team members skills and career growth
- Ability to communicate strategy, plans, and status at all levels of the Confluence Cloud organization
- A relentless focus on execution
- Ability to drive technical excellence, pushing innovation and quality
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across teams and departments to work with dependent teams and align on shared goals
- Ability to keep teams focussed through uncertainty
- Have a high level of empathy with our customers no matter how low on the stack your team is working
It's great if you have experience with:
- Experience improving website performance
- Experience with modern microservices and microservice architectures
- Experience with performance testing tools and methodology
- Experience with the “you build it you run it” mindset - leading teams to own their software services from planning to building to operations.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can rock the role, we’d love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian’s culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub.