It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world's relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We've been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The Community team is building more ways for users to meaningfully engage with each other in Cash App. Our vision is to allow customers to create relationships that help them build better financial futures, together.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us to lead a founding team of engineers to build new products that enable Cash App customers to seamlessly and safely transact with each other in multi-person ways. In this role, you will be leading a highly focused delivery team and will leverage the creativity of the team to find ways to put high utility features into the hands of our customers faster and earlier.
This is an incredible opportunity to lead and inspire a team that will have a direct and immediately visible impact on Cash App customers and the business. If you want to be challenged, collaborate across teams to solve hard problems, and are passionate about customers and utilizing data and user research to drive decisions, this is the right role for you.
As part of the leadership team, you'll collaborate with us to:
- Build a team of amazing engineers to ship products quickly and nimbly
- Collaborate effectively across the engineering organization to build up this product domain
- Chart and communicate the technical strategy for the product's evolution to engineering leaders across the organization
- Inspire the team by driving focus on the impact they have for Cash App customers and our North Star metric
- 2 or more years of experience managing teams and leading people
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience leading product teams and collaborating with product stakeholders
- Experience overseeing the lifecycle of evolving a product from its first use cases into a platform that others can readily build on top of
- Demonstrated ability to lead & deliver on large initiatives nimbly and quickly
- Strong desire to perform and grow as an Engineering Manager
- Have a strong bias toward serving your team and stakeholders
Tools we use and teach:
- Java, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.