Engineering Manager - Cloud Images at Canonical (Raleigh, NC)
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineering manager passionate about open source software, Linux, and cloud infrastructure. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
You will work closely with Amazon, Microsoft, Google and other world-class cloud partners to make Ubuntu the best platform there is in the clouds, making an impact on millions of users. Your time will be split between people management and daily running of a small team, development activities, and direct partner engagement. You’ll be responsible for a wide variety of projects and assignments which contribute to the stability and functionality that our cloud users have come to expect. You will strive to automate the delivery of existing and new Ubuntu image products applied to all modern workloads from web servers to GPU-aided AI for servers, VM’s and containers.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Please note that at this time, we are looking for candidates located in the Americas.What you’ll do
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles and directly contribute toward your team’s goals to support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Build automated, highly reliable image delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development, focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have 3+ years of experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers. Experience managing distributed teams is a plus.
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Software development experience, python or golang a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to convey technical concepts to technical and non-technical people, and actively engage in technical discussions
- Practical experience with at least 1 of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services IAAS and their product offerings
- CI/CD experience a plus
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development, with annual budget for professional development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working options and schedules
- Work remotely with a talented globally distributed team
- 18 weeks full pay primary care giver parental leave, 4 weeks secondary, from day 1
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.