Engineering Discipline Manager - Unannounced Project at Bungie (Remote)
We are hiring an engineering discipline manager embedded on an unannounced project at Bungie. We think this role will appeal to people excited about the challenges of building a new team with an inclusive culture, and who are excited about managing other engineers and helping them grow in their careers.
As an Engineering Discipline Manager, you will be an integral part of engineering organization for a new unannounced project. You will join a cross-disciplinary management team to work on shared initiatives. You will coordinate with our central engineering discipline managers to develop best practices for developing engineering talent. Most importantly you will join a community of leaders focused on building a team, with an inclusive culture, capable of sustainably producing a game that our fans will love.
While we value and desire a technical background, this role is primarily focused on people management and organizational health. A growth mindset is going to be your most useful trait, along with empathy and conscientiousness.
- Collaborate cross-discipline with other discipline-focused managers and our team to improve our practices around performance and employee relations
- Manage up to (typically) 5 engineers
- Implement strategies to hire, mentor, grow, and retain our talent
- Provide support, coaching, and career development advice to managers and/or direct reports
- Find and escalate problems in the engineering discipline, and help to create and implement solutions
- Ability to manage engineers across a broad spectrum of sub-discipline, with a team of mentors and engineering leads to support you
- Enthusiastic about developing inclusive, diverse, and equitable engineering organizations
- Ability to build relationships, give feedback, and handle difficult conversations, all in a diverse and multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to effectively write clear, concise, and accurate documentation and communications
- An understanding of game development culture
- Interest in automating away toil in leadership workflows
- Ability to read and write code in a compiled language, for familiarity with the challenges of our most common engineering subdisciplines
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.