Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior - Optical Design
In this career enhancing opportunity, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity gain experience over the full life cycle of a project. You will also develop leadership skills as your experience builds.
In this role, you will support Ball’s Payload Engineering Optical team. You will need to be an expert optical designer that has a deep understanding of optical design and have a history of creating, producing, and deploying complex designs for space-based and airborne optical systems.
What You'll Do:
- Work in a collaborative environment with other optical engineers to develop novel state-of-the art optical designs for space based and airborne optical systems.
- Help Ball advance our technology and develop innovative optical systems for space- based applications designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Support Advanced Program development by contributing to proposals, RFIs, and writing white papers.
- Lead or engage with teams of engineers during optical sub-system development, integration, and alignment in a cross disciplinary environment.
- Participate in and present at design reviews.
- Assist with the procurement and validation of state-of the art optical components.
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as perform analytical work and technology development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree in Engineering or a related technical field, plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Optical Engineering or a related technical field is preferred.
- Experience in optical design, including UV through IR reflective and refractive designs.
- Knowledge of optical fabrication technology to support procurement of optics from 10mm to meter class.
- Experience in optical engineering analysis and design.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience with Matlab and optical design/analysis tools.
- Ability to work at all Ball Aerospace’s Colorado campuses (Boulder, Broomfield and Westminster) for extended periods of time.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation or Top Secret (DoD TS) is desired; ability and willingness to obtain such a clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.