Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people who promote a sense of belonging and equality with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. What's more, our company balances listening to experiences, providing feedback, and partnership at all levels to create a more inclusive environment. Our team members are able to fully invest in the work that they do, bringing dynamic thinking and energy to Ball Aerospace.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Mission Systems Engineer Senior - Security Clearance Required
Join the Mission Systems Engineer, Integration & Test (SEIT) team at Ball Aerospace - a diverse group of motivated problem solvers. We like to have fun and enjoy life - both at work, and in our free time. We're excited about the challenging projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
We're seeking an action-oriented engineer to support and lead efforts for the entire program lifecycle; including concept, design, requirement development, implementation, and launch. This position is for an experienced systems engineer with leadership skils who can establish the requirement baseline, CONOPS, and architecture for a mission that includes Space Vehicle(s), Ground Systems, Payload, and Spacecraft Bus.
This engineer should also be experienced at managing the cost, schedule, risk, and systems engineering for a Space-based System.
This is a challenging, fast-paced job which will be exciting and highly gratifying for the successful candidate.
Make a difference. Love what you do. Realize your full potential.
What You'll Do:
- Provide systems engineering leadership of technical teams to develop and implement the Requirements, CONOPS, Architecture, and Integration of Space Missions.
- Manage and Control the Technical Baseline.
- Interface with and support the program chief engineer.
- Plan and manage the cost, schedule, and technical content associated with the systems engineering team.
- Oversee and Guide the System Traceability team in:
- Developing the database framework to properly allocate, trace and verify requirements through all mission phases.
- Allocating and flowing system requirements to lower-level specifications.
- Developing the overall verification plan and approach.
- Oversee and Guide the Architecture and Design team in:
- Developing and utilizing technical trades studies to define the system architecture.
- Utilizing Model Based Systems Engineering tools and processes to develop and document the system architecture, interfaces, and CONOPS.
- Trading technical performance options and impacts.
- Defining System CONOPS.
- Oversee and Guide the System Integration & Test team in:
- Defining System Integration & Test Plan.
- Defining System Simulator requirements.
- Defining System STE and GSE requirements.
- Mentor other systems engineers across Ball Aerospace.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in either mission system, spacecraft systems, ground systems or payloads preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering processes, including requirements development, requirement allocation, change management, verification, and validation. Ability to self-start and own this activity.
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Customer Relationships: Knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision making and technical audiences.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.