At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II - Optical
In this exciting position with Ball Aerospace, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity in the Optical Engineering field. Over time you will gain experience over the full life cycle of a project. You will also be expected to develop leadership skills as your experience builds.
What You'll Do:
- Work with optics that will be integrated into complex space-based optical sensors for NASA and DoD markets.
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as perform analytical work and technology development.
- Work in a cross-disciplinary environment with engineers and technicians from other engineering fields.
- Build custom optical measurement setups.
- Operate optical instrumentation such as Interferometers, Theodolites, Laser Trackers, etc.
- Produce data packages and reports using Microsoft Office tools.
- Work with teams of engineers to perform development, integration, alignment, and test activities on optical systems.
- Work in an independent manner with minimal direction and supervision.
- Able to supervise and instruct technicians or junior engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree(s) in Optical Engineering preferred.
- Experience with optical alignment techniques.
- Experience with optical design is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Geometric, Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Multi-disciplined technical skills relevant to the build of optical systems (e.g. bonding, mechanical assembly, electrical wiring, precision cleaning, understanding of machining capabilities, space craft integration, etc.)
- Solid interpersonal skills demonstrated thru excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience working from concept through delivery of spaceflight rated hardware including data analysis and report generation is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to obtain a security clearance; Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation or Top Secret (DoD TS) is desired.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $104,400 - $129,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.