Engineer I - Ground Development Engineer at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Engineer I – Ground Development Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop, test, review, document and deploy software packages at a variety of levels/sizes including short-lived rapidly built scripts, to large-scale Enterprise Software Solutions. This role will encompass the entire lifecycle of the software package(s) worked on.
- Detailed oriented Systems Engineering to understand the numerous nuanced Use Cases and User Experiences of the Ball Ground System(s) and how they are used currently, as well as plans for use in the future, on Ball Programs.
- Particular focus on User Experience and Web Based UI/UX with the Ground System(s). Translating User descriptions and request into actionalble changes in the User Experience primarily on the front-end, but with potentially for back-end changes as well.
- Cultivate a strong ethic for understand issues/problems at a user level, but applying changes and updates with the high-level broad reaching system in mind.
- Self-start and self-guide sub-projects where you are the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on a given piece of software or technology.
- Contribute to large Enterprise projects as an integrated team member with an emphasis on developing UI/UX software for the project.
- Learn new methodologies and software paradigms from leaders/mentors within Ball, as well as provide mentoring for new/junior employees.
- Participate/contribute in large scale Factory Qualification Tests (FQT), Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), Mission Readiness (MR), and Launch & Early Operations (LEOP) activities.
- Attend cross organization meetings and industry conferences as necessary to expand Ball’s role in the industry, as well as learn/socialize new technologies.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Demonstrated ability to reach advanced proficiency in at least one programming language, preferably with strong UI/UX skills.
- Experience working with UI/UX Frameworks like Django and Vue preferred.
- Understanding of front-end and back-end interactions. Examples include SQL DB interactions, API mechanisms/retries, and eventual consistency.
- Good planning, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to work with large teams of distributed ground system engineers and senior level engineers of multiple disciplines.
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills.
- A willingness and ability to learn many of the technical skills through on-the-job training.
- Ability to remain calm and collected in stressful situations including potentially real-time anomaly resolution.
- Solid troubleshooting skills are required to provide support during various test activities, as well as translate user issues and descriptions into actionable software/training changes.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $86,000 - $107,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.