EMI/EMC Principal Engineer at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Principal – EMI / EMC
Would you like to be part of the electrical systems of the future? Ball Aerospace in beautiful Westminster and Boulder, Colorado pioneers electrical systems for challenging space, air, and ground applications.
We are seeking a Principal (level) Electrical Engineer with technical expertise in EMI/EMC who can help transform photons into new digital information.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide technical design expertise in the area of EMI/EMC at the electronic box level for space-based remote sensing applications during all phases of a program life cycle from concept development through on-orbit commissioning.
- Define EMI/EMC compliant electronics box architecture for spacecraft subsystem and assembly level hardware; including but not limited to technology assessments, design leadership, system integration and test support.
- Electronics EMI/EMC compatible box design, modeling & simulation with intermediate knowledge of EMI testing of boxes. Perform verification of compliance to requirements at the box level.
- Document and present analysis, findings, and design to program team and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree(s) in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Expert knowledge of the physics of EMI/EMC and system interactions at the physical layer.
- Working knowledge of space environmental factors (radiation, Total Ionizing Dose, etc) and how they interact with EMC/EMI concerns.
- Design experience (8 or more years preferred) implementing requirements, verification and validation methodologies, selling off requirements to deliver hardware to the next level of integration, etc. with expertise in the area of EMI/EMC.
- Analytical skills including FMECA, WCA, reliability and risk mitigation.
- Detailed knowledge of MIL-STD-461/462/464/1541, SMC-S-008/016 and related standards requirements and testing is desired.
- Familiarity with FPGA-based electronics architecture and the impact of EMI on such architectures.
- Experience with redundant fault tolerant avionics, self-diagnostic and architecture/hardware design including trade-offs and characteristics and impact of EMI on such systems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills and the ability to lead group discussions.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers.
- Security clearance is highly preferred; ability and willingness to be submitted for a clearance within 60 days of hire is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.