Elasticsearch - Senior Java Engineer - Geospatial at Elastic
Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
We're looking for a Senior Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch - Analytics & Geo team, focusing on Geospatial work in Lucene and Elasticsearch. This globally-distributed team of seven senior engineers is responsible for building new analytics and geospatial capabilities in Elasticsearch, profiling and optimizing existing functionalities, analyzing runtime and edge-case behaviors of distributed algorithms, and innovating new ways to store and analyze data in Elasticsearch.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. As a result, our team is diverse and distributed across continents. We collaborate every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack.
At our best, we write fast, scalable and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to code review for every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements. We believe the team should be aware of how our customers use our products and be empowered to make bold decisions.
We are looking for an engineer that is proficient in Java and either has prior experience working with or building Geospatial products or is interested in pursuing a career in this space.What You Will Be Doing:
- Design and implement new, fast, horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch, integrating and exposing new features from Apache Lucene. You'll propose technical approaches, discuss, and will have ownership of the features you work on.
- Investigate and implement optimizations for geo spatial indexing and search data structures.
- Integrate new geospatial features in Elasticsearch from Lucene.
- Implement new geospatial aggregations and data analysis techniques (e.g., faceting, clustering, hot spot analysis).
- Improve existing geospatial APIs including new intercommunication formats.
- Work closely with cross product teams to expand geospatial offerings at all levels of the Elastic stack
- Working with the community on bugs and performance issues and assisting out support engineers with tougher customer issues.
- You are proficient in low-level Java, standard data structures and concurrency primitives.
- You have a firm understanding of how distributed systems operate, their limitations and advantages.
- You have experience with Elasticsearch or another search technology, and understand basics of indexing and querying documents
- You have experience designing and writing distributed algorithms on a map-reduce style of system (Hadoop, custom code, etc.).
- You work with a high level of autonomy. The distributed nature of the company offers freedom to work when and how you see fit, but also requires team members to work independently, and reach out for help when stuck.
- You are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You are meticulous at reviewing code, comfortable receiving feedback through PR reviews, and familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills. You are an excellent teammate with strong analytical, problem-solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills. Clear and concise interpersonal skills are critical for working with our distributed teams.
- You have a good understanding of geospatial coordinate systems, map projections, and datum transformations.
- You have experience with geospatial data structures, geospatial visualization techniques or geographic information systems.
- You have contributed to open source projects.
- You have built things with the Elastic Stack.
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email [email protected].
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.