DSP and SDR Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation (Washington DC)
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
In this role, you will become part of the Communication Technologies and Engineering Division (CTED). Main-mission communication satellites, wideband links, command and telemetry, signal collection and terrestrial networks, along with their enabling technologies, are the domain of CTED. The division comprises all aspects, from architectures to implementation; our engineers work directly with corporate customers to ensure robust and resilient communications. In Chantilly, VA we are engaged in modeling & simulation work and prototyping & testbed development work. The range of work includes cubesat payload development, signal collection prototypes, antenna modeling and measurements in our anechoic chamber, software defined radio communications and signal collections systems, and RF system in support of prototyping and customer developments.
This Position will be located 100% onsite in Chantilly, VA.
What You'll Be Doing
- Solving technical problems in the areas of communications, signals collection, and data processing
- Developing experiments and prototypes in our laboratory facilities that include extensive SDR hardware, FPGA development systems, and RF signals test and measurement equipment
- Supporting customer programs by performing research, analysis, development, and assessments of signal processing algorithm implementations on operational hardware
- Providing subject matter expertise in Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and Software Defined Radios (SDR)
- Joining the Digital Electronics and Electromagnetics Department as an early-career engineer who works both independently and as a member of project teams
- Supporting our DOD and Intelligence customers with primary support to the National Reconnaissance Office
- Using your technical abilities and insights to keep ongoing development programs successful and to influence future missions
This position can be filled as a DSP and SDR Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) or DSP and SDR Engineer (Sr. DSP and SDR Engineer):
What You Need to be Successful
Minimum Requirements DSP and SDR Engineer (Member of Technical Staff):
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited program in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline
- Two or more years of relevant experience in progressively more responsible roles.
- Experience in a laboratory environment working with SDRs or FPGAs, and associated test equipment
- Experience in developing and implementing DSP algorithms with real-world performance requirements on either CPU or FPGA-based platforms
- Willing to either learn FPGA development or collaborate closely with in-house FPGA developers
- Willing to travel domestically up to 10% of time.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SSBI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain this level of security clearance.
Minimum Requirements DSP and SDR Engineer (Sr. Member of Technical Staff):
- All of the above requirements for DSP and SDR Engineer (Member of Technical Staff)
- Five or more years of relevant experience in progressively more responsible roles.
- Experience working independently and managing individual tasking
- Experience providing deliverables and briefing management and or customers on project progress
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline from an accredited university.
- Proficiency with a variety of popular SDR or FPGA tools such as GNURadio, Vivado, or ModelSim
- Experience working with experts in the fields of antenna systems, RF systems, SIGINT processing, communications systems and hardware prototyping.
- Experience with Linux-based DSP systems that span across CPUs, FPGAs, GPUs, and SDR platforms.
- Strong background in scientific programming using languages such as C, C++, Fortran, Julia, or Python.
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.