Distinguished Architect at Arctic Wolf (Remote)
Ready to make an impact? Arctic Wolf seeks a Distinguished Architect to join our pack.
Arctic Wolf, with its unicorn valuation, is the leader in security operations in an exciting and fast-growing industry—cybersecurity. How fast are we growing? Well, Arctic Wolf was highly ranked in the Deloitte Fast Technology 500 for North America in both 2019 (#25) and 2020 (#104)! We have doubled headcount, customers, and revenue for five years running.
We are also cultivating a collaborative and productive work environment that welcomes a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and ideas to make our teams even stronger as we grow our teams globally. In fact, we were named a 2022 and 2021 Top Workplace USA (Energage) as the top technology firm to work in our size category, were recognized as one of the 2021 and 2020 Best Places to Work (bizjournals.com), and were certified in successive years as a 2022 and 2021 Great Place to Work (Great Places to Work Institute, Canada). What’s more, we were recently named one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world for 2022 (Fast Company)—and the 2nd most innovative security company.
Arctic Wolf believes in corporate responsibility, and our worldwide offices proudly participate in volunteer programs throughout their communities. We’ve also earned distinction from TravelWise for our efforts in promoting sustainable transportation.
About the Role
As a Distinguished Architect at Arctic Wolf, you are a member of the Architecture team and lead the architectural and technical vision of an R&D department for Arctic Wolf's production products. In this role, you will work closely with product management and R&D to build and own the architectural strategy for your R&D department, and to ensure the technology stack can achieve the company goals. You indirectly influence all of R&D and will be responsible for guiding and coaching technical leaders across multiple domains. You will regularly lead the technical design vision and direction for projects across your entire R&D department.
Your role is to work on issues that impact program success or addresses future concepts and products, requiring a longer term view to meet strategic goals and objectives, and requiring evaluation based on limited information, and exercising of independent judgment of the trade-offs involved. You serve as an expert in the field and principal advisor and thought leader, applying extensive knowledge of theories, practices and design to your architectural analysis and recommendations. You lead the application of existing principles and are central to introducing novel and innovative solutions for your department. In addition, you will analyze and recommend integrations with 3rd party tools, technologies, and frameworks for incorporation into our platform, and own the architectural strategy, design, and processes for your department. Finally, you represent your department’s architecture to the Architecture team to help understand and set the overall architecture vision.
You’ll work across a diverse set of technologies and skills. Some of the technologies we use include microservices, Docker containers, Kubernetes, Kafka, SQS, real-time stream processing, data pipelines, relational and noSQL databases, data modelling, API design, schema design, system integration between services, endpoint software design, system internals, security scanning methodologies, 3rd party systems and interfaces, multi-tenancy, access controls, and more depending on your architecture area and projects.
Your responsibilities include:
- Working with product management and R&D to define and execute on the company's technical roadmap and strategic vision.
- Owning the technical and architectural vision, product design and architectural decisions within your architecture area.
- Providing insight and understanding to architects and R&D for their realm of expertise, and to keep abreast of new developments.
- Analyzing, recommending, and developing POCs and prototypes of architecture designs, technologies, 3rd party tools and integrations.
- Identifying and evaluating trade-offs between various architectural decisions to inform design choices.
- Providing technical oversight, guidance and coaching to architects, product management, developers and engineers.
- Ensuring that our software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Contributing to all levels of the architecture applicable to their realm of expertise.
We are an innovative team that focuses our research on R&D projects. Often, we evaluate of new software and tools, proofs-of-concepts and hands on prototyping. We investigate solutions, look at the trade-offs, and lay the groundwork and architectural strategy. The team also works closely with product managers and R&D to help us succeed together. We value a culture of sharing, so architecture work is peer reviewed and discussed with other architects to discuss tradeoffs and communicate ideas.
You are an expert Architect, Software Developer, or technical leader who influences the architecture across an entire department. You have proven technical leadership experience from previous projects, regardless of title held. You have been central in introducing novel and innovative solutions, have experience writing software, and have deep knowledge across multiple domains. You enjoy learning new concepts, technology research and experimentation. You are a mentor to technical leaders across multiple domains, and coach to architects and developers. You are comfortable communicating technical ideas to audiences of different skill levels. You create formal networks with key decision makers and are widely recognized as an expert and thought leader.
Required skills and experience:
- Proven history of technical leadership of successful projects, as well as some lessons learned from failures.
- History of being central to introducing novel and innovative solutions.
- Knowledge of current industry and emerging technologies, to compare and contrast against, and innovate upon these technologies.
- Experience in technical architecture, system architecture, solution architecture, and enterprise architecture.
- Experience in software development with Golang, Python, Java or a similar high-level language.
- Mastery of technical details, best practices, and design patterns across multiple domains.
- History of making and defending, effective decisions using data and research, and accepting feedback.
- Proven History of explaining technical concepts using audience-specific language for audiences with different technical skill levels.
Previous security experience is preferred but not required. We provide all the cybersecurity training you need during onboarding and on-the-job training.
The interview process is approximately as follows:
- Phone pre-screening: A recruiter contacts you to briefly discuss your work history and provide an overview of Arctic Wolf. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Culture and technical pre-screening: A team member conducts an interview to learn more about you and provide more information about your potential role on the team. Be prepared to talk about past projects and career goals. Approximately 1 hour.
- Face-to-face interviews: Several team members conduct two interviews to learn more about you and provide more information about your potential role and team. Be prepared to collaborate on a technical problem and talk more about past projects and your career goals. Approximately 1 hour per interview.
- Conducts duties and responsibilities in accordance with AW’s Information Security policies, standards, processes, and controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of AW business information assets.
- Must pass a criminal background check and an employment verification as a condition of employment.
Working at Arctic Wolf:
Arctic Wolf recognizes that success comes from delighting our customers, so we work together to ensure that happens every day. We believe in diversity and inclusion, and truly value the unique qualities and unique perspectives all employees bring to the organization. And we appreciate that—by protecting people’s and organizations’ sensitive data and aiming to end cyber risk— we get to work in an industry that is fundamental to the greater good.
All wolves receive compelling compensation and benefits packages, including:
- Equity for all employees
- Paid parental leave
- Training and career development programs
If you're excited about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We review all applications and may yet consider you the right person for the role or have another open position where you’re the perfect fit.
Arctic Wolf is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
Arctic Wolf is committed to fostering a welcoming, accessible, respectful, and inclusive environment that ensures equal access and participation for people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any accommodations by emailing [email protected]