Job Title: Director of Software Engineering
Hiring Manager: Chief Technology Officer
Ocient is a hyperscale data solutions company headquartered in Chicago, IL, enabling organizations to analyze trillions to quadrillions of data records in seconds. Over the past five years, Ocient has built a SQL compliant data warehouse for Petabyte and beyond datasets that is 10x to 50x times faster than competitive OLAP databases.
Ocient is looking for an outstanding Director of Software Engineering to lead a team of talented engineers working on our exabyte-scale distributed SQL database. Your focus will be on “people and project management” for a team of 12 to 24 engineers organized into several component areas, but you will also delve into complex coding and architectural discussions.
- Manage complex software development projects, including writing project plans, tracking progress, and managing risks.
- Mentor junior and senior engineers and team leads, supporting everyone's career goals and providing actionable performance evaluations.
- Foster an inclusive and engaging work culture.
- Lead architecture discussions.
- Lead process and systems improvements across the entire organization.
- Recruit and Retain top engineering talent.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical field
- 15+ years of industry experience developing enterprise grade software.
- 7+ years of experience managing engineering teams and delivering high quality software for customers.
- Strong technical leadership, mentoring, and communication skills.
- Deep familiarity with low-level, backend coding concepts, including concurrency, synchronization primitives, CPU architecture, IO, and memory management.
- Familiarity with C++, Linux, and SQL.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocient is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Ocient is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Ocient, Inc. makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Ocient Vaccination Policy
Here at Ocient, our first priority is the health and wellness of our employees. Ocient requires full vaccination against COVID-19 for anyone entering the office and anyone attending an Ocient event such as a meeting, dinner, or a happy hour. Ocient employees are expected to comply with health and safety related mandates issued by local, state, or federal authorities for all locations where employees work on behalf of Ocient including any Ocient planned activities such as travel, meetings, or dinners. This policy will be reviewed and updated periodically as conditions related to the pandemic change.