Director of Software Engineering at Digital Turbine (Washington DC)
At Digital Turbine, we make mobile advertising experiences more meaningful and rewarding for users, app publishers, and advertisers - intelligently connecting people in more ways, across more devices. We provide app publishers and advertisers with powerful ads and experiences that captivate consumers, fuel performance, and help telecoms and OEMs supercharge awareness, acquisition, and monetization. In a rapidly evolving industry, we are constantly innovating and creating better paths of discovery to connect consumers, publishers, and advertisers across the mobile ecosystem.
As the Director of Software Engineering, you will guide your teams to drive high-quality technical execution and operational excellence in the delivery of software solutions that meet business needs and maximize customer experience, growth and retention.
The Director of Software Engineering has responsibility over a group of development teams spanning multiple technologies, with a focus on Android mobile application development. These teams carry out the analysis, design, development and implementation of large-scale software applications. The Director ensures projects are completed within committed time and budget and are integrated with other software applications. The Director contributes to development policies, standards and procedures. The Director manages the activities of individual contributors and supervisors within a business domain with accountability for objectives and key results.
Primary Responsibilities of the Director of Software Engineering:
- Manage the development teams' performance in the delivery of solutions including all aspects of software engineering: requirements collection and refinement, design, code and test
- The implementation of product features in collaboration with product owners and business stakeholders.
- The employment of Agile / Scrum methodology to deliver high-quality software releases.
- The development of awesome software that improves not only our business but moves the industry as a whole.
- The planning for, mentoring and coaching of individual and professional development of staff software engineers, quality engineers, and scrum masters.
- Drive organization initiatives including Agile process maturity, automated testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous documentation.
- Maintain alignment of teams to business and technical delivery expectations, and act as a point of contact for escalations and leadership communications.
- Refine and mature sometimes ambiguous / conceptual requirements and guide the technical team to implement solutions through solid engineering practice.
- Be unafraid to get hands dirty and expertly work side by side with other engineers to code, commit, PR and merge to deliver product.
- Identify and convert opportunities to evaluate new technologies and drive adoption to enhance business outcomes.
Basic Qualifications of the Director of Software Engineering:
- 7+ years of experience developing Android applications in a team environment.
- Extensive knowledge of modern Android CI/CD practices and configuration management.
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- 5+ years of experience leading distributed software engineering teams in an IT/software field.
- Experience with AWS.
- Broad and demonstrated background in a wide variety of development tools, coding languages, source control, build management and other infrastructure.
Preferred Qualifications of the Director of Software Engineering:
- An Undergraduate Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or work experience equivalent.
- Extensive experience and thorough knowledge of Linux kernel and userland.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Android platform architecture and roadmap.
- Experience cooperatively developing solutions with OEMs to embed within their firmware.
- Previous work building Android (OSP) from source code.
- Experience with Android NDK or Android framework development.
- Exposure with Advertising Technology digital platforms (Google Ad Manager, DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP), etc.)
- Experience designing fault tolerant and highly available distributed systems.
- Understanding of various security patterns & controls and passion for learning new technologies.
- Experience having managed and driven internal systems towards continuous improvement and operational efficiency, including instrumentation for reporting capabilities.
About Digital Turbine:
Digital Turbine (NASDAQ: APPS) powers superior mobile consumer experiences and results for the world's leading telcos, advertisers and publishers. Our end-to-end platform uniquely simplifies the ability to supercharge awareness, acquisition and monetization - connecting our partners to more consumers, in more ways, across more devices.
The company is headquartered in Austin, Texas, with global offices in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Berlin, Singapore, Tel Aviv, and other cities serving top agency, app developer, and advertising markets. Listed on Deloitte Technology Fast 500 for six consecutive years since 2015 and winner of Austin Chamber of Commerce's Company Culture in 2020.
Digital Turbine is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We embed diversity in our mindset, products, and teams to empower an inclusive, equitable, and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators and partners, driving better outcomes.
To view our Global Recruitment Privacy Notice, please click here .