Director, Software Engineering - System Design at The Walt Disney Company (New York City, NY)
This function is embedded into an Engineering department and is over-indexed on technical understanding of software development and business domain.
The right person for this role is deeply technical, influential and has a highly dynamic leadership style and will have an outsized impact on the future of software engineering at Disney Streaming for the Media Distribution.
This leader will:
- Cooperatively own and administer the cache hierarchy architecture with Software Engineers
- Ensure SVs in Security are scheduled, managed and resolved
- Lead support efforts to drive planning of new deployments
- Achieve goals by providing appropriate architecture recommendations and implementations.
- Maintain focus on business cases and cost saving targets
- Manage short and long term usage plans and distribution of services across vendors
- Under Unification, consider and converge best practices across Hulu/D+/ESPN
- Work tightly with Software Engineering, Media Distribution, Infrastructure
- Manage complex business development relationships/projects with brands like Varnish and other cloud storage providers
- Explore new strategies in caching and store and forward delivery models
- Maintain existing Darwin infrastructure to 100% uptime
- Transition Darwin to unified end solution
- Recommend and suggest best practices in software development
- Represent DisneyStreaming publicly in speaking and network events
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Lead a team that is building and maintaining the roadmap, alignment, and support of the architectural evolution of the technical distribution platform to ensure quality, scale and economics of a global technology platform.
- Requirements Gathering & Definition, Market Analysis, Product Owner in the SCRUM
- Writes User Stories & Product Briefs (where necessary)
- Creates Narratives & Storytelling
- Interfaces with the broader Product Organization and Engineering
- Creates & maintains the roadmap and ensures alignment between engineering efforts
- Advise and work closely with engineering teams to develop solutions
- Has the responsibility to coordinate with Architects, so that the requirements written for the iteration of any given component are in adherence to the current or future state of architecture (multi-component integration)
- Work closely with project management and tech leadership to prioritize deliverables in a fluid environment
- Minimum of 12 years experience with Caching architecture and store and forward content delivery
- Strong understanding of cloud architecture, distribution, store and forward and emerging technologies
- Deep knowledge of network technology (layer 3)
- empathy for users and business goals
- proven experience building leading software teams with a focus on inclusion and diversity
- tenacity for a balance across competing priorities
- Experience succeeding with long term impact and short term goal execution
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a complex and rapidly growing environment
- Bachelors or master's degree in computer science, Information Systems, or relevant industry experience
About Disney Streaming Services
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company's direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including Disney+, ESPN+ and soon to launch Star+. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world's most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.