At AllCampus, the passion and talent our employees bring to work every day are at the core of our continued success as a company. We have been named the #1 mid-size company to work for by Crain's Chicago Business Best Places to Work (2021), in addition to being recognized as a one of the best workplaces in Chicago several years in a row (2018-2021 Crain's, 2019-2022 Built In Chicago). We've achieved this honor by emphasizing diversity, excellence, integrity, appreciation, collaboration, creativity and camaraderie, as well as offering a very competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. AllCampus is committed to fostering professional growth, as well as doing everything we can to keep employees happy, healthy, and passionate about the work we do.
AllCampus is looking for team players who are highly motivated to deliver exceptional results for one of the leading providers of online program management solutions for higher education. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys coming up with new ideas, is comfortable communicating them to a variety of stakeholders and other managers, and who is excited by the prospect of working constantly to improve performance.
The Director of Engineering leads and owns the software development function at AllCampus, helping us build and manage the technology that enables the phenomenal work we do for our university partners - as well as helping us create a new software platform that universities can use to streamline their marketing and enrollment. This role will manage a team of 6-8 engineers, acting as a leader and mentor to our software development talent.
In addition to overseeing the development of software technology for both internal and external stakeholders, the Director of Engineering will lead our engineering culture, creating an environment that empowers their teams to do their best work. This role is ideal for someone who's equally as passionate about making technology decisions as they are about helping other engineers grow.
AllCampus was recently named the #1 mid-sized company to work for in Chicago, and we're looking for an individual who will help us raise the bar higher. We offer a flexible work environment, fully supporting a remote workforce, where engineering managers have the latitude to truly lead their teams. If we don't have the right tool for the job, this is the kind of person who'll tell us what the right tool is.
We work in an agile methodology in two week Sprints. Some of the technologies we use are
- Python; Flask; SQLAlchemy
- Postgres; Redis
- AWS; Docker
- JS; React; TypeScript
- Legacy Projects - Java; Oracle (sunsetting, EOL in 12-18 months)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the overall operational activities of the engineering division.
- Create a positive culture to maximize productivity and minimize attrition, by leading, mentoring and coaching all All Campus Engineers.
- Establish, communicate, and implement engineering and development policies, practices, standards, and security measures to ensure effective and consistent operations.
- Plan, Interview, Hire, and allocate resources to effectively meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
- Work closely with product and project managers to ensure product deliverables, timelines, and KPIs are met.
- Identify, analyze, and remediate root causes of systemic technical issues.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies and trends in engineering and development in general as well as related to the higher education marketing space.
- Partner with security and privacy teams to ensure compliance with all regulatory standards.
- Lead the engineering team in disaster recovery and incident response processes.
This position requires supervisory responsibility for Software Engineers
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE an equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- STEM-related bachelor's degree or related field
- Minimum of 7 years of software engineering experience
- Minimum of 3 years in a supervisory role
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with others with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Strong mentorship, relationship management, project. management, problem solving and change management skills.
- Demonstrated integrator of disparate technologies into cohesive innovations.
- Proven competency to foster and build a culture of success, accountability and teamwork.
- Excellent planning skills coupled with a strong oral and written communications capabilities.