ABOUT HAPPY MONEY
Happy Money® is building a happier and more equitable financial ecosystem that seamlessly blends psychology, technology, and a focus on happiness to help consumers go from borrower to saver, investor, and giver. The company provides a path toward improving financial well-being and securing greater happiness – beginning with paying off credit card debt – through its science-enabled, purpose-driven marketplace between mission-aligned capital and consumers.
Backed by leading investors including Anthemis Group, Tencent Holdings and CMFG Ventures, Happy Money has helped nearly 150,000 members pay off more than $2.7 billion in credit card debt since inception through its award-winning Payoff Loan™. Founded in 2009, Happy Money has a diverse employee base of over 350 people across the United States.
Happy Money is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the Lending Platform Group. This Platform is critical to our business and you will manage and grow the teams to deliver the tactical objectives and strategic goals. This is an exciting opportunity to own a high-impact area and drive the technical vision to shape this platform for the future. Domain expertise, strategy, technical vision, forward thinking, and influential business acumen are essential — as you will be the key driver on defining the lending platform of the future while maintaining the current platform at scale. In this role, you will be at the center of defining Happy Money’s core product and evangelizing values of love, trust, and hustle across the entire engineering organization — and powering The Happy Money Movement.
In This Role...
- You drive the core Lending Platform vision, strategy, and direction; and manage execution by collaborating with cross functional teams including engineering, operations and external vendors
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene, build strong teams, and strive for operational excellence
- You are skilled at leading strategically while being able to deep dive into details when necessary
- You establish partnerships and maintain deep relationships with core vendors
- You partner with Operations Teams to improve efficiency and quality through high levels of automation
- You build a strong, healthy, and diverse teams by hiring, mentoring and coaching
- You leverage your experience and leadership to transform existing functions to drive consistency and efficiency through Agile processes, KPIs, and OKRs
- You balance a high quality, high output engineering mindset with the demands of a high growth business
- You align closely with our product organization with a focus on efficiency, capacity, and quality
- You have a track record of leading the core platform teams in SaaS companies
- 8+ years of experience in managing and leading teams to design, develop and deliver scalable products and features
- Strong track record of managing multiple teams with 20+ engineers
- Experience with Lending Systems and CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce)
- Strong collaboration, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience managing agile development teams through the full SDLC
- Strong hands-on skills
- Can drill deep into the complex system design and implementation when needed
- Experience with reporting and data visualization technology is a plus
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related majors, or equivalent experience
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Prior experience in the FinTech Industry, Banking or Lending Products
- Graduate degree in Computer Science
Here at Happy Money, we live by our core values of Love, Trust, and Hustle and welcome all. Love is shown in how we develop meaningful relationships with everyone we interact with; whether it’s a member or your manager. Trust is shown through how we empower each other to come to work as our true selves and embrace our differences. Hustle is shown through how we fail fast and learn from our mistakes. No one is perfect, we’re all human; if this job description doesn’t exactly match your background, we encourage you to apply anyway!