Director, Engineering Operations at GitHub (Remote)
As the Director for GitHub Engineering’s Operations team, you will act in a leadership capacity to ensure the directional and executional excellence of this team. You will support management of the Engineering organization by way of project management, creation and execution of metrics across the org, and steering new initiatives and special projects by using the Engineering Operations team as an incubator for needs across the Org.
The Director of Engineering Operations will be responsible for managing operations for the Engineering organization including overseeing communication, cross-functional coordination, budget, and operational excellence. We are looking for someone with a strong technical / data-driven background, excellent communication skills and experience in both strategic and operational management abilities; Bonus if you already have a GitHub account and love the software!
You will lead all aspects of internal operations and spearheading strategic / special projects. You will support and implement the right level of operating structures and cadences that optimize organizational execution. You should be high energy with strong operational skills, and a willingness to go above and beyond to deliver results. Executive presence and strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- Is able to discern the importance of competing priorities
- Ability to motivate team members, drive collaboration, partnership and resolve conflicts amongst team members
- Run cross functional working teams to drive accountability and ownership for all operations
- Triage escalations in partnership with other functional leaders through the organization
- Partner and support CoS and leadership for organization-wide communications, goal-setting/ OKRs and processes
- Lead special projects and assist with execution of annual strategic plan and priorities
- Support decision making through research, analysis of information, and clear presentation of consideration
- Represent a singular thread to align leadership and teams to ensure communication, projects, and action items running through Engineering are executed in togetherness, ultimately serving as a force multiplier among leadership
- Cross-functional coordination - Driving and tracking Engineering-critical, department-wide initiatives, ensuring alignment to deliver superb cross-functional execution.
- Process maturity - Documenting and maturing business procedures to grow, scale, and run your teams more effectively.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Management related field not required, but a plus.
- Minimum 7+ years of experience as a Business Manager in an technical role
- Experience with GitHub
- Outstanding people skills with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Exceptional operational, planning and coordination skills
- Deadline-driven, organized, and able to multi-task
- Able to work independently without direction.
- Willingness to handle responsibilities regardless how big or small.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and prioritize needs.
- Ability to collaborate with executive team members to determine best-of-breed business systems and processes
- Robust analytical skill set with ability to understand and analyze P&L and team level budgets
- Ability to determine KPI’s and how to measure team performance
- Holistic problem solver, comfortable with ambiguity and proven ability to create clarity
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.