Director of Engineering, Backend Cloud Services at Cisco Meraki
At Meraki, we are making IT easier, faster, and smarter by building technology that simply works. Meraki’s Dashboard drastically simplifies the process of deploying, configuring, and running distributed networks, enabling customers to focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. Dashboard serves millions of customer devices that provide network access to hundreds of millions of clients every day!
As Director of Engineering for Backend Cloud Services, you will lead engineering teams responsible for the core components of Meraki’s cloud that support customer network access, data collection, and distributed systems. Leading teams based in San Francisco and London, you will help frame and execute against a platform vision that will ensure the scalability and reliability of these systems to stay ahead of our rapid growth. Our devices are some of the most popular in the world, and this popularity brings interesting large scalability challenges: our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests daily, 24/7/365.
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We believe in fostering a positive culture by hiring, coaching, and empowering smart, helpful, humble people and providing opportunities for all employees to thrive. With the support of management, we constantly look within for ways to improve organizationally. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a large company without sacrificing the atmosphere of a smaller company.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- 12+ years of experience in software development, particularly in distributed systems, networking, databases, and/or data processing frameworks, with 7+ of those years in management or technical leadership roles
- Managed organizations of 15+ engineers including managing managers
- Experience working with systems at scale (i.e. billions of transactions per day)
- Awareness of the latest trends in large scale distributed systems and data processing frameworks combined with a healthy dose of skepticism about jumping on the next shiny thing
- Experience leading and building trust with remote & distributed teams
- The ability to influence, facilitate discussion, and work in partnership with other teams
- Product/project management skills and an understanding of how to balance product requests against internal priorities
- A high-level of emotional intelligence and empathy for others
- A strong belief in leading by example
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience in an agile environment
- Demonstrated ability to grow and mentor teams as well as lead them through change
- Experience working in hybrid cloud environments
Does this sound like you? We’d love to hear from you.
Cisco requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated or have an approved religious or medical accommodation. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. If someone anticipates requesting an accommodation for this requirement, they must receive approval before the start date. Candidates receiving an offer will receive additional information about the accommodation process at the time of the offer. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Cisco's vaccination policy.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.