A venture-backed industry leader in tech recruitment, Built In serves more than 1,800 innovative tech companies, with 2.5 million sought-after tech professionals visiting the site monthly. The platform leverages the power of content to help tech companies elevate their reputations as national, local or remote employers of choice, as well as leaders in DEI. With $30 million in funding to date, Built In raised $22 million in a 2019 Series C round led by Updata Partners with participation from existing investors including MATH Venture Partners, which led Built In’s previous two funding rounds. Built In’s most recent accolades include its inclusion in Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ list and the 2020 Inc. 5000 list.
Built In is a tech leader with a unique position in the market, expanding its product and technology footprint, and building the leading B2B SaaS product nationally for employer branding and talent activation. Its B2C marketsite comprises professionals who aren't just active job seekers but are learning about the tech industry or seeking professional development with high quality content. Built In helps customers get in front of this audience and launch their journey from reader to candidate to new hire.
The product and technology team is leading this innovation for the fast-growing company that is dedicated to building meaningful tech communities. We value talented people who are passionate towards solving business problems through innovation and best product and engineering practices. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking, outcome-driven environment in a forward-thinking organization that looks to push boundaries - one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers nationally (and building towards a global brand).We’re looking for a Director of Engineering (Applications)
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our B2B and B2C engineering teams.
You are an engineering leader with a proven track record of leading distributed engineering teams at the highest levels. You are an architecture-oriented technology leader with experience in managing and scaling SEO-friendly consumer-facing websites with DevOps mindset. As a leader, you must have strong people management skills at all levels and build a culture of engineering rigor that empowers teams and promotes innovation. In addition, you thrive in an environment with complexity and ambiguity, have strong cross-functional communication skills, are a coach and a player, and partner with various internal and external teams to deliver top-notch technology solutions and products with significant impact to the bottom line. The position reports to the head of engineering in the company.How you’ll contribute
- Own the vision of scaling our B2B and B2C part of the organization, serving as the decision maker on behalf of the company's growth requirements.
- Transform the technology architecture to support the company growth plans, building scalable application solutions, that will allow building and customizing best-in-class software products with pleasure to use interfaces.
- Be the change agent, encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity & inclusion
- Work within our multi-technology stack including Go, Vue, TypeScript, Python, and Docker to build services and applications; Drupal-based platform with content, and Salesforce.
- Create, manage, and integrate timelines for the development and deployment of all significant projects based on resources, dependencies, and requirements. Instill a culture of urgency while not sacrificing code confidence and product quality.
- Manage, hire, and coach teams of developers with varying experiences. You are as comfortable working with employees as well as with global contract resources.
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience required.
- 10+ years of experience in understanding of all aspects of software engineering, including coding, maintenance, architecture and design
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing cross-functional teams to deliver world class products, ability to set direction, grow team members, set goals, prioritize and recruit talent, among others
- Experience working with distributed teams - potentially spanning different time zones.
- Experience with agile software development practices, integration and release methodologies. Strong mix of both management and technical skills—you will be accountable for the architecture..
- Ability to manage technical debt driven by commercial outcomes for products, combined with ability to build products with best engineering practices with high quality code.
- Ability to build strategic relationships with all engineering teams, product, and other cross-functional stakeholders to align on and deliver on technology and company OKRs
- Awareness of latest Martech and HR Tech trends and best practices, with ability to choose what is practicable and what advancements best suit the needs of the company and its users.
- Care about building a strong organizational culture that values growth, learning, ownership/accountability, delivery, diversity and inclusion, and collaboration.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always.
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a woman CEO and founder, and that more than half of our managers and employees identify as women
NOTE: BUILT IN NEVER CONTACTS JOB APPLICANTS VIA TEXT, MESSENGER OR OTHER SIMILAR APPLICATIONS. BE AWARE OF PHISHING AND SPOOFING SCAMS, BOTH VIA TEXT AND EMAIL. ONLY RESPOND TO EMAILS FROM BUILTIN.COM