What we do and why we do it
As the leading marketplace for single-family rental homes, our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 500+ Roofsters, our collaborative and can-do culture is what fuels our growth. We recently closed on our series E, raising nearly $400 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management) and Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform.
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance. In fact, our values are B.A.D.A.S.S.
Be customer obsessed.
Act like an owner, because you are one.
Don’t be afraid to break things in the pursuit of better.
All of us are empowered to do the right thing.
Stay curious and create what’s next. Fast.
Seriously. No jerks.
As Director of Engineering - Platform, you will lead teams to build and scale Roofstock’s Platform. To be successful, you should have exceptional leadership, communication, and project management skills, years of management experience, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others. Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in trends in engineering and leadership, and a platform-focused mindset.
The ideal candidate for this position is passionate about building teams that focus on delivering the best possible platform services experience with performance, scalability, security, and efficiency in mind. You can balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions. You know how to participate in the technical details while still empowering your team to make decisions and move fast. We are looking for someone that excels at partnering across various internal teams and departments, including Operation, Product, Design, Architecture, and DevOps.
What You Will Do:
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a growing organization with 20+ engineers and managers across multiple development pods.
- Building new micro-services in a modern development process using .NET, gPRC, Linux, and Docker container orchestration.
- Partner with product, business, and operations stakeholders on roadmaps, timelines, and technical strategy.
- Communicate and align plans and dependencies to the broader Engineering organization.
- Coach individuals, inspire creative thinking and foster innovation with rigor in technical excellence.
- Guide your teams in best practices around software development, documentation, coding standards, performance, fault tolerance and scalability.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics for quality and velocity. Proactively identify ways to continually improve the quality of our products and the efficiency of our team.
- Recruit, engage, and retain world-class engineering talent.
Who You Are
- 10+ years of software development experience in SaaS or Fintech with significant experience as a hands-on technical contributor earlier in your career.
- 4+ years of experience managing engineering teams.
- Familiarity with modern web development technologies, and cloud architecture.
- Deep understanding of modern software development practices and technology stacks
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven recruiting experience as a hiring manager with the ability to attract talent and develop high performing teams.
- Analytical mindset and strong skills in prioritization of engineering investments that lead to maximum impact
- Passion for real estate: You have an interest in real estate, enjoy talking about it, getting into the details, and learning more about the space.
- Startup Mindset: Experience working at smaller companies that have gone through rapid growth, and you are comfortable wearing many hats.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%)
Flexible time off and sick days
Supplemental bonus to support "work from home" office needs
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
We are an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Read Full Job Description