Director of DevOps at Ceros (Remote)
Join us as Ceros embarks on the next chapter in our mission to unlock creativity. Ceros is evolving into the essential design platform for professional creatives the world over. Our suite of cloud-based tools empower professional creators to push the boundaries of creativity, while our collaboration tools make it easy to get everyone involved in the process.
Today, our products power some of the most engaging experiences on the web. In 2021 alone, interactive content created with Ceros Studio — from landing pages and pitch decks to interactive social media — has been viewed more than half a billion times. In the meantime, more than 3 million comments have been added to digital content using Markup, our new visual collaboration tool.
Working at Ceros means having an impact at scale. Our products and services are leveraged by top tier brands such as Mashable, Bloomberg, Red Bull or Pinterest and are loved by more than 500,000 users. And we are building something even bigger and better: the creative operating system of the future.
We are backed up and well-funded by top-tier investors including Sumeru Equity Partners, Grotech Ventures, Greycroft, and Starvest Partners.
We are remote first forever with a 4½ day workweek that finishes every Friday at 1pm.
Ceros provides multiple products and the DevOps team supports them all.
The infrastructure uses Docker, Jenkins, and Cloudformation. We use a myriad of AWS offerings. We also use Okta for authentication and Fastly as a CDN. We’ve begun a migration to Terraform and Kubernetes.
The DevOps team also supports Markup (https://markup.io), which is built in React and Typescript on the frontend and Typescript on the backend. Its infrastructure uses Terraform and Kubernetes on AWS.
About the Team
As part of the Ceros product team, you’ll be working with a cross-functional group of the most talented people you’ve ever worked with. We hire only passionate and creative people with a proven ability to execute, and every member of the team is equally responsible for moving the product forward.
We have a dynamic company culture that collaborates daily. We care deeply about the user experience, and we debate passionately about our ideas. When you work at Ceros, you check your ego at the door, and you aren’t afraid to be honest, especially to yourself. We take our jobs seriously but ourselves not so much.
The DevOps team is responsible for the infrastructure and deployment pipelines for all of our products. We manage them through the lens of four workstreams: developer experience, platform, recoverability, and security. We currently have three teams built around one or more of these workstreams. Studio Platform handles Developer Experience and Platform for the Studio product, Studio Recoverability handles Recoverability and Security for the Studio Product, and MarkUp handles all four workstreams for our MarkUp product.
We follow DevOps principles, which means we view ourselves as the deep knowledge and support for all the developers when they need to write infrastructure stories. We own the roadmap, but we don’t stand in the way of product teams when they need to write infrastructure or pipeline code. We review their work and offer guidance and advice.
As Director of DevOps as Ceros, you will be the de facto Head of DevOps at Ceros, leading up the DevOps department and supporting all three DevOps teams across our products. You will be responsible for planning the future of the department and figuring out how to support our growing product ecosystem.
- Lead and scale Ceros’ DevOps Department, preparing it to support our ecosystem strategy.
- Own the strategy and strategic planning of Ceros’ DevOps Department.
- Interface with Stakeholders across products and departments to ensure the DevOps team can support their needs.
- Own the organizational structure of the DevOps Department.
- Facilitate cross team communication and develop cross team collaboration processes.
- Guide the infrastructure architectural strategy on a high level.
- Execute Epic Level roadmapping for the DevOps teams.
- Act as a manager for the DevOps team Leads and Staff Engineers, providing support, mentorship, coaching, and guiding their continuing career growth.
- Set a supportive and inclusive tone for the whole department.
- Act as ultimate owner of our cloud infrastructure and supporting tooling.
Practical stuff we anticipate you having
- Experience managing teams and managing managers.
- Deep experience with infrastructure, deployment, and cloud technologies. In particular: Kubernetes, Terraform, and AWS.
- Knowledge of organizational design.
- Knowledge of collaborative decision making processes.
- Knowledge of DevOps and Agile theories and practices.
- A commitment to transparency and voice for those you lead.
- A servant leadership mentality. You view yourself as a facilitator and a guide, not a commander.
Key things to know
- This is a 100% remote role but we are primarily in the U.S. Eastern time zone and prefer candidates who can have an overlapping work schedule with the rest of the team.
- We want you to start ASAP
- This is a full-time position
- Competitive Salary
- Stock options
- Premium health insurance
- 401K match
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation days
- Wellness Fridays (Half Day Fridays)
- Excellent gear (Macbook Air, external monitor, etc.)
- Stipend for the home office set up
- Growth and Learning opportunities within the company
- Virtual experiences in which Cerosians can collaborate, educate, and create social connections with one another
At Ceros, we are deeply committed to the recruitment, retention, and growth of diverse talent; uniting people from unique backgrounds in our shared passion for unlocking creativity through technology.
As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.