We are looking for a global champion of software quality, who will challenge not only our own teams, but also open source developers all around the globe, to raise the bar on quality through innovation, process and community. This is an opportunity to set the standard for software quality in open source - not just in Ubuntu but also in the wider context of public cloud, private cloud, cloud-native, serverless, desktop and device software.
There are two areas of particular focus for this role. The first is Ubuntu itself - tens of thousands of packages, in every possible language, all changing at the speed of upstream, across multiple architectures, with multiple flavours of kernel tuned and certified on thousands of different servers and devices. The second, and even more challenging, is the new wave of distributed systems that people are running on top of Ubuntu. On Kubernetes, thousands of potential combinations of Ubuntu-based docker images are deployed every day. On bare metal, complex infrastructure-as-code topologies of private cloud, big data and container technology make up the modern data center stack. In both cases, traditional QA won't work. The only path to success is radical innovation and technology - and that's the opportunity for this role to lead.
In the minds of our customers and our users, Canonical doesn't just represent Ubuntu, it represents a pathway to all of open source. As leaders in the community, we can shape standards, expectations and patterns which are noticed and adopted widely. Our six month release cadence has become something of a standard. Our two year LTS cycle - even the term LTS itself - has also been widely adopted in the open source community. We'd like to do the same now for quality.
As the Engineering Director of Quality at Canonical, you have a key role in the success of Ubuntu, our partners, customers, and the larger Ubuntu community. Your role will cover the whole product engineering organization, contributing at both high and detailed levels to help numerous teams enhance the quality of their products. Applicants to this role should have a proven track record of exceptional engineering management, leadership, excellence, and consistency in multiple areas, projects, or teams.
Do you want to determine the next generation of what’s possible with software quality? Are you ready to innovate and redefine the status quo? We’re looking for a leader passionate about technology, quality, and testing. This is not a traditional QA role.
In this role you will bring your expertise in quality and testing to bear on all of Canonical’s software products, across the entire engineering organization. You will consult with engineering managers and teams to establish consistency in how software is tested, identify opportunities for testing improvement, and measure results and progress over time. You will also have the opportunity to try new approaches, radical if necessary, to improve the state of the art. But perhaps most importantly you will articulate to the world the principles and practices that we think raise the standard for everybody, and hold Canonical accountable to them.What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively across product engineering to help define harmonized testing procedure and pipelines
- Own overall product quality process and direction of testing frameworks
- Mentor others and provide cross-team input
- Evaluate the quality discipline of engineering teams
- Write high quality code to implement foundational components as needed
- Work to reduce complexity and improve maintainability of our test frameworks
- Influence others and represent technical insight to customers and other engineers
- Support and encourage solid engineering processes (e.g. TDD, kanban, scrum, etc.)
- Work from home with global travel 6 to 8 weeks for internal and external events
- You have engineering management experience and have delivered great products
- You have a passion for innovation in the software engineering discipline of quality & test
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- Proven track record of automated regression and integration testing in complex projects, ideally in Python and/or Golang
- You demonstrate an understanding of the definition of done
- You have an understanding of the full lifecycle of modern software development
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM, or similar degree
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.