Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the largest provider of educational support, supporting millions of students through partnerships with thousands of school districts. Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Developer Productivity Engineer will be a member of the Development Experience squad, whose objective is to enable software engineers to efficiently build, test and deliver high quality and secure software. The Developer Productivity Engineer will work on projects that improve developer satisfaction and maximize engineering productivity. They will create and maintain an effective toolchain and optimized workflows in the effort to improve the velocity of our software development life cycle. The ideal candidate is an experienced software developer that currently holds the role of a devops developer or a software developer and has a demonstrable track record of delivering cloud-based applications to enterprise-grade customers. They have a passion for leveraging tools to improve efficiency and have experience practicing continuous delivery. They are a good communicator that is comfortable speaking to a diverse audience of software engineers, product designers and product managers. They are able to make data driven decisions to drive their day to day work and act as a mentor for other developers when necessary.
This position can be located in any geography in the US or Canada.
- Develop, configure and ensure operation of continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD) tools and infrastructure.
- Automate and improve development, build, testing and release processes.
- Integrate and maintain security tools in the CI/CD pipeline.
- Build tools to improve developer experience.
- Collaborate across engineering and product teams to achieve a fast feedback cycle and collect reliable and actionable data on software engineer satisfaction and productivity.
- Promote good engineering practices and educate development teams on tenets of DevOps.
- Cultivate and promote a learning environment for your team and other individuals.
- Propose and execute on initiatives that measurably improve development productivity metrics such as lead time, code deployment frequency, mean time to recovery (MTTR) of applications and change failure rate.
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer or DevOps engineer developing SaaS applications for enterprise-grade customers.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrable ability to clearly communicate ideas and technical concepts.
- Understanding of technical and process oriented DevOps capabilities.
- Understanding of software design principles such as service oriented architecture.
- Understanding of secure software development principles and practices.
- Understanding of manual and automated testing principles and techniques.
- Experience implementing different layers of the automated test pyramid.
- Working knowledge of CI/CD tools like Jenkins, GitHub Actions or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Docker containers, K8s, Packer or equivalent software orchestration and infrastructure tools.
- Working knowledge of how to build command line tools.
- Experience working with Git version control system.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure such as GCP (preferred), AWS or Azure.
- Experience working with Linux and/or other Unix-based operating systems.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in Site Reliability Engineering.
- Working knowledge of Infrastructure as Code such as Terraform, Terragrunt, CDK.
- Working knowledge of observability, monitoring and telemetry software such as Datadog, Sentry, Grafana, Prometheus and/or ELK stack.
- Work with a dynamic team that provides support whenever you get stuck.
- Remote first environment.
- Annual company-wide meetups.
- Opportunity for career development with a fast-growing company.
- A unique opportunity to make an impact by making education more equitable.
- Stipend to help support the growth of your home office.
- 24/7 access to Paper for family members K-12.
Paper offers an exciting, dynamic, inclusive work environment putting excellence at the center of everything we do. Our mission is woven into the fabric of our culture, challenging our team to build meaningful and creative solutions.
We thrive when we collaborate with each other, and use integrity and selflessness to align our business decisions with our mission. We approach every challenge with positivity, achieving the outcome we want regardless of what gets in the way. Our tenacity propels our hyper-growth, where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
Nobody checks every box, but the Paper team is built by passionate and innovative people who share our mission for democratizing education. If you don’t think you meet all of the requirements above but are still interested in the job, please apply.
PS. Equity is our mission! We make sure to treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our job board - our amazing talent team will reach out! Our team isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone.