At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
DEM Applications Developer Associate – Java
The Development team creates and maintains web and desktop applications that augment and integrate Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) solutions. Primary solutions are internally business facing to support our engineering processes.
What You’ll Do:
- Creation and maintenance of business web services that adapt and extend functionality of COTS solution.
- General administration and optimization of Java EE application servers.
- Collaborate with team members and business users to clarify requirements and confirm design/implementation.
- Partner with business representatives to ensure requirements are well understood and documented to achieve successful delivery.
- Actively work with the software development manager and architecture managers to align to a consistent technology vision and drive application development standards.
- Research and recommend database development best practices.
- Facilitate peer-programming and design sessions/reviews with team members.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Foster and be a leader of a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Collaborate with other Application Developers on problem analysis and resolution and provide support as needed.
- Provide technical assistance to others.
- Ensure development quality is being tracked and improved using techniques like automated testing and peer code review.
- Work closely with BA/QA team members to create test plans and ensure that issues are properly identified, fixed, and tested.
- Take the lead on solving and implementing difficult technology challenges and drive our team to successful delivery.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units, and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s in Information Technology or a related technical field.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience developing in Java and using object-oriented development practices preferred.
- Experience developing web-based applications using Java preferred.
- Experience working with web services (REST JSON) preferred.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and automated build/test tools preferred.
- Broad and deep understanding of application servers including experience with configuration and troubleshooting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, professional, and able to communicate with all levels of management.
- Ability to work under minimal direct supervision.
- Experience with any of the following technologies is preferred:
- Java 8+ / OpenJDK
- Java Application servers (JBoss/WildFly, TomEE, Tomcat/Spring, WebLogic)
- IDEs (Eclipse, IntelliJ)
- Java Web Services, both SOAP (JAX-WS) & REST (JAX-RS, RESTEasy, Spring)
- Maven/Ant/Gradle and version control (Git preferred)
- Spring/Spring Boot
- SSIS or other ETL processing tools
- C# application development experience
- Unit Testing/Test Driven Development/Behavior Driven Design
- Azure DevOps/Team Foundation Server
- Oracle RDMS
- PL/SQL development
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $60,500 - $82,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.