Data Platform - Sr Software Engineer at Uber
About The Team
Our teams build an distributed open platform to move data across multi-datacenters and hundreds services, transform data into a usable form and load it into the system for making insightful decisions. The platform enables all data scientists, engineers, operators at Uber to produce data daily and scales for a large number of data workflows running in multi-tenancy with great security and isolation. We build pre-cooked workflows, ETL and end-to-end data solutions, make them available in uWorc, the rich drag&drop UI to author and manage data pipelines, provide REST APIs, dev tools and ecosystems to build, test, deploy and monitor pipelines in convenience.
Know more from our engineer blog - Managing Uber's Data Workflows at Scale
About The Role:
We are looking for a strong software engineer to join our team to build a secure data workflow platform across multi-datacenters to be more reliable and scalable, tackle challenges of large scale orchestration, scheduling and distributed services, implement high demand workflow frameworks and solutions, build dev tools and ecosystems for data scientists and engineers. The candidate must be passionate about simplifying complicated data processing to ease of use and system's performance, reliability and scalability.
What you will do:
- Design and implement platform services, frameworks and ecosystems
- Build a scalable, reliable, operable and performant big data workflow platform for Uber's data scientists/engineers, AI/ML engineers, and operations folks.
- Drive efficiency and reliability improvements through design and automation: performance, scaling, observability, and monitoring
Mentor junior engineers, support your fellow teammates, review the team's technical design, code, and documentation
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Computer Science and related fields
- 4+ years of software development experience
- Strong programming skills with Python or Java
Experience with software development and distributed systems and services
- Strong programming skills with Python and Java
- Understand SQL and Non-SQL storage and proficient SQL like Queries
- Hands on experience of build microservices, cloud services with REST APIs
- Deep understand distributed system and big data architecture, experience with large-scale distributed services and storage (Zookeeper, Kafka, ELK, SQL DB, Hive, Cassandra, Presto, etc)
- Understand data processing and ETL, hands on building pipelines and workflow framework through Hive Hdfs, Presto, Spark etc.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Passion for learning new technologies/domains and for challenging the status quo
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.