Controls Engineering Lead at General Motors (Detroit, MI)
General Motors is turning Orion Assembly into the Battery Electric Truck Plant of the Future! We have a corporate vision of "Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion."! Our most novel products like the Chevrolet Silverado EV and GMC Sierra EV will be assembled right in this facility. This requires us to employ the most upbeat, capable, and innovative talent to ensure we meet the challenges of developing the new manufacturing processes required to assemble these outstanding products! We offer a multifaceted and inclusive work environment that questions the status-quo daily to strengthen our reputation. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to learn new skills and actively play an integral role in the development of new processes here at Orion Assembly.
On - Site: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
The Controls Lead will be assigned to the battery department inside the plant and be responsible for supporting the implementation of battery process equipment throughout launch and ongoing operations. The Controls Lead will directly supervise and help provide technical direction over a group of controls engineers and engineering support personnel with specific engineering objectives. This individual must have the ability to collaborate with all shop floor personnel, work with little direction, and have problem resolution skills. Additionally, you must be willing to support the implementation process of a GPS product inside a vehicle assembly plant. The Controls Lead should be able demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
What You'll Do (Responsibilities)
- You will analyze and implement equipment and process designs for the best method for manufacturing.
- Promotes proper implementation of ESWP practices.
- Direct the design, development, and/or improvement of manufacturing processes for assigned area
- You may evaluate or monitor expenditures for processes and/or equipment
- You will keep regular contact with partners outside the work group
- Participate in PFMEA, SFMEA, PCP, and G-Risk meetings
- Ensure adherence to GM Controls Standards
- Support equipment debug process with ME/Execution counterparts
- Responsible for 10 controls engineers
Your Skills and Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- At least 3 years of experience working as a controls engineer
- Engineering degree (Electrical Preferred) from ABET-accredited university OR equivalent experience
- Proficiency in industrial networking protocols - Profibus, Profinet, TCP/IP and EthernetIP
- HMI - Siemens TIA Portal and Rockwell FactoryTalk View
- PLC - Rockwell ControlLogix and/or Siemens 300F families
- Servo drive systems - Siemens G120 and S120 families, and Rockwell Powerflex and Kinetix,
- This position will require overtime and off-shift production support
- Ability to travel around 10% of the time locally and internationally
What Can Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- 5+ years of experience working as a controls engineer
- 5+ years of manufacturing experience
- Previous people leader experience
- Experience with product launches (automotive preferred)
- Master's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Vision Cameras experience
- Fanuc Robot Programming experience
- Unico Drive experience
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being-at work and at home-so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.