Controls Engineer- Lake Orion at General Motors (Detroit, MI)
For us the future is now! We are an assembly plant at the cutting edge of product and manufacturing processes. We strive for excellence in developing and sustaining the manufacturing enablers to quickly bring to market the most advanced and innovative automotive products to date. All these plants will be producing all electric vehicles These products put us at the forefront of our corporate vision of Zero emissions. This requires us to employ the most energetic, capable, and innovative talent to ensure we meet the challenges of developing the new manufacturing processes required to assemble such exciting products. We develop and execute the enablers to make GM Manufacturing an obvious competitive advantage for our company.
We offer a progressive and inclusive work environment that questions the status-quo daily to strengthen our reputation of being an incubator for new manufacturing processes and automation. We value community outreach and have a strong presence in our neighborhoods. The selected candidate will have the
opportunity to learn new skills as well as influencing the development of manufacturing processes to support this historical and game-changing progression to electric vehicles.
Lake Orion Assembly is seeking a creative, highly motivated, agile thinker with a passion for automation. The ideal candidate has a background in or exposure with electrical or computer engineering with strong programming skills and can perform at a high level in a fast paced, high volume manufacturing facility. This person shall be comfortable supporting manufacturing processes on the production floor. As a Controls Engineer you will be addressing production issues alongside quality, manufacturing, and maintenance teams. Additionally, you will be expected to maintain, and improve existing production processes by using continuous improvement and problem-solving techniques.
- During the initial part of the program, there will be requirement to frequent (50% time) travel to the OEM, Equipment Manufacturer location
- Configure, program, test and troubleshoot PLC based control systems and associated components
- Electrical troubleshooting and testing of controls systems, control panels, and associated equipment
- Diagnose and correct deficiencies in manufacturing processes and equipment
- Develop innovative solutions
- Support and actively interact with manufacturing, maintenance, and quality groups
- Continuously improve quality, cost, responsiveness & safety
- Bachelor's Degree with a major in electrical or mechatronics engineering, or equivalent automation controls engineering experience
- Proficiency in industrial networking protocols - Profibus, Profinet, TCP/IP and EthernetIP
- HMI - Siemens TIA Portal and Rockwell FactoryTalk View
- PLC - Rockwell ControlLogix and/or Siemens 300F families
- Servo drive systems - Siemens G120 and S120 families, and Rockwell Powerflex and Kinetix
- This position will require overtime and off-shift production support
- 2+ years of Controls experience in a Manufacturing environment
- Vision Cameras
- Fanuc or Siemens CNC experience
- Fanuc Robot Programming experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being-at work and at home-so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.