Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
We're looking for a Team Lead to join the Cloud team as a front-line engineering manager. This manager will coach and lead a globally distributed team of 5 - 8 senior engineers who focus on improving our Cloud platform.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. As a result, our team is diverse and distributed across continents. We collaborate every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. The ability to lead a distributed team is critical.
At our best, we write fast, scalable, and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to code review for every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements. We believe the team should be aware of how our customers (both technical and non-technical) use our products and be empowered to make bold decisions.
You won’t always be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but you are expected to guide most of them. We need a person who has made critical decisions in the evolution of a big product and platform over multiple years and releases, and who can lead a team with a coherent vision while making appropriate compromises along the way.What You Will Be Doing
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of approximately 5 experienced engineers
- Lead the efficient delivery for both SaaS, and time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritisation; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Work with our Product Management team to ensure requirements and the “why” are clear
- Foster a culture of mutual respect and collaborative decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Identify staffing requirements and help drive recruitment of high-quality colleagues
- Provide mentorship and support the development and training of team members through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathises with others
- Experience leading diverse teams of software engineers as a line manager (people manager)
- Experience leading complex engineering projects that cross engineering teams
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer and strength in computer science fundamentals to understand the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Experience with distributed data stores (we use ZooKeeper and Elasticsearch)
- Performance management experience (promotions, PIPs, development plans, terminations)
- Strong written and spoken English communication skills
- A compassionate approach to communication, a good sense of humour, and a genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with
- You've worked on a SaaS product before.
- You've built things with our Elastic Stack before.
- You've managed a globally distributed team before.
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email [email protected].
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.