Cloud Architect CPE
The Cloud Architect is responsible for the technical direction behind Paylocity's cloud strategy, as well as for upskilling existing engineers to be proficient in working in the cloud and will be an active member of the Technology Practice. The Cloud Architect will partner with the rest of the Technology Practice group to establish and evangelize standards, drive the identification and adoption of next generation technologies and solutions, identify, and develop reusable components, and perform architectural enhancements to maintain a stable HCM solution that will scale to meet the needs of a rapidly growing business.
Working closely with Technology Practice Leaders, Principal Engineers and Product teams, the Cloud Architect will: identify ways for teams to dream big and start small, ensure we have close alignment across the organization on the technology opportunities and product needs, make sure the technical needs of the system are prioritized, and coach/mentor Software Engineers, Dev Leads and/or other individual contributors. Being a technical player-coach, the Cloud Architect will actively help develop a cloud strategy. The Cloud Architect may be an individual contributor or have a couple direct reports dedicated to solving organization level missions. The Cloud Architect will also seek out opportunities to attend and/or present at conferences and write internal and external facing blogs.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
Who you are:
- Technical guru who likes to go deep and address business challenges
- Strong ability to operationalize cutting edge technologies within the context of current business needs
- Boundless curiosity about our customers, our products, our history, and current market and technology trends. A lifelong learner able to adapt accordingly
- Enables product teams to make the right choices, in alignment with our technology direction, to promote scalable and secure solutions
- Passionate about improving processes to shorten cycle times for software releases
- Nimble and responsive to the needs of teams you support
- Focuses on the high-level goals and design of a project or direction and how it aligns to the overall vision
- Driven to serve our customers and find means to make those individuals more effective.
- Dream big, start small mindset
- Unflinching in your desire for production and system stability and scalability
- Enthusiastic about design, development, and architecture of software and infrastructure
- An advocate in continuous improvement of our development and infrastructure processes
- Passionate about mentoring and coaching developers
- Able to work in a collaborative environment with a willingness to share your ideas directly with agile teams
- Work closely with product teams to drive and evangelize the overall technical direction
- Evangelize and influence the organization's architectural vision, strategy, and principles
- Work with Tech Practice Leaders on operationalizing proofs of concept and experiments aimed at improving the capabilities we provide customers
- Work on a standard or framework and evangelize its use throughout the organization
- Work closely across specialties to make deployments easier to improve team velocity and overall quality of delivery
- Partner with a collection of Principle Engineers, Dev Leads and Tech Leads to ensure everyone is pulling in the same direction
- Assist teams as needed with measuring, monitoring and working to drive down incident levels
- Strengthen the technical acumen as an organization by sharing your knowledge and interests within and outside the organization
- Build a development plan for the engineering community to upskill for cloud proficiency
- Drive the identification and adoption of next generation technologies for current and future challenges
- Mentor, coach and empower technical team members
- Attend and/or present at a conference to stay abreast of emerging trends in technology
- Bachelor's Degree in a Computer Science, Engineering, Technology related field or equivalent experience
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certifications, especially AWS Certified Solutions Architect (Professional) highly desired
- Must be advanced in building large-scale cloud architectures, to include:
- Migrating large-scale applications to AWS
- Finding high-level seams in multiple large applications to migrate from a monolith to micro-services in the cloud
- Migrating .NET applications to container-based/serverless architectures is a plus
- Designing and implementing reusable deployment pipelines for multiple feature teams
- Designing and implementing disaster recovery/resiliency strategies for cloud workflows
- Deep expertise in multiple cloud offerings, including but not limited to:
- Containers in Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) or Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS)
- Managed ElasticSearch in AWS
- Event streaming via Kafka or Amazon Kenisis Data Streams (KDS)
- Messaging via Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), serverless via lambdas
- Data Storage offerings such as Amazon Redshift, AWS Aurora, AWS Relational Database Service (RDS), or graph databases such as Neptune
- Experience with managing Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and cloud-based networking to include Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs) and other methods of connectivity with on-premises data centers
- Experience with Identity and Access Management (IAM)/cloud security, governance and compliance, including experience with control tower and guard duty a plus
- Understanding of cloud spend governance and control a plus
- Measuring, monitoring, and alerting on customer experience for multiple, mission-critical cloud-based applications at heavy load
- Must be advanced in object-oriented design and development and unit-testing, RESTful Web Services and web pages using C# .NET Core and Full Framework or similar technologies
- Should be well-versed with Enterprise Architecture and developer tools, including advanced troubleshooting and debugging of unknown systems and refactoring
- A solid understanding of network and infrastructure is preferred
- Must be able to work effectively in an agile environment
- Must be effective and creative in problem solving
- Able to work on off-hours and weekends as the need arise
Our journey forward.
Paylocity strives to create an organizational culture where every employee has a voice, feels truly welcome, appreciated, and free to be themselves, and is empowered and enabled to do their best work. A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to creating such a culture.
We've made great strides to support diversity, equity, and inclusion. That being said, we realize there's still room for improvement. Our current focus is on the following initiatives:
- Education & Awareness
- Client Community
- Company Representation
- Advocacy & Support
- Fairness & Equality
- PCTY Gives
This job description has been written to provide an accurate reflection of the current job and to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
The Colorado Employment Act
The Colorado Employment Act requires all employers to place in their remote/Colorado job postings the compensation ranges for their open roles.
Paylocity will comply with this new state employment act, and we are required to place compensation information in all remote and Colorado based roles by September 24.
NOTE: Yellow highlighted area is an example of a range. The pay range for each role is in the Pay Transparency tool. The range reflected is minimum- maximum of the job.
Communication below to place in remote/ Colorado based job postings:
This role can be performed from any office in the US. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $123,697.00 - $184,000.00 /year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This position offers a comprehensive variable compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits outlined here. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via www.paylocity.com/careers.