Cloud Application Engineer at Effectual (Remote)
Effectual Cloud Application Engineers (CAEs) are members of the Professional Services (PS) team responsible for ensuring that customer-facing projects are delivered with exceptional customer satisfaction and technical excellence.
What makes a successful CAE?
Cloud Application Engineers are skilled and experienced developers who stay current on leading practice, act in the interests of our customers to deliver fit-for-purpose solutions to their needs, and balance competing priorities between multiple parallel project delivery to achieve defined business outcomes on behalf of our customers. Cloud Application Engineers are problem solvers who see blockers and challenges as opportunities to find a new path to success; the words “good enough” and “impossible” aren’t in their vocabulary. Cloud Application Engineers take accountability for achieving desired outcomes and have a passion for supporting the high-quality delivery of technical projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop software according to published standards, guidelines, and development schedule, including code standards and user interface design guidelines
- Perform code review for developers’ submitted code and provide feedback for code improvements based on leading practices
- Perform pull requests / merge requests, branch management, and builds and deployments
- Build, deploy, and maintain CI/CD pipelines for various stacks
- Support and maintain existing software functionality; to investigate, analyze and correct identified defects
- Improve the maintainability and performance of existing software through application refactoring
- Adhere to leading software development practices in the execution of work (e.g.: creating unit tests, inline code documentation, establishing API specifications)
- Ensure tasks are clearly defined and ready for execution (e.g.: clarifying user acceptance criteria, establishing definition-of-done, pointing stories to understand LOE, etc.)
- Clearly and regularly communicate with management and technical support colleagues
- Propose and assess solutions to design problems, including identifying and evaluating new technologies and third-party components
- Interpret written business requirements and technical specifications to complete estimates for change requests
- Develop and refine technical documentation of application code consisting of architecture, design and development methodology, outstanding features, design decisions, known technical limitations, etc.
- Continually update skills by learning new technologies relevant to the role
- Promote and advocate best practices within the development team and throughout the business.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science preferred, or equivalent education
- 5+ years’ experience developing software
- 3+ years’ experience with CI/CD pipelines, multiple build, and deployment tools
- 1+ years’ experience developing and implementing cloud-native software applications
- Experience developing microservices
- Proficient in multiple languages (Java, C#, NodeJS, PHP, Python) and frameworks (Spring, Hibernate, .NET, React, Laravel, Django)
- Proficient in implementing leading design patterns
- Ability to work independently and multitask effectively
- Ability to effectively manage time while working on multiple assignments and provide guidance as to relative priorities of assignments of project delivery team
- Strong understanding of Agile development processes
Nice-to-Have Skills and Experience
- Understanding of at least 4 design patterns
- Able to lead development teams in sprint task prioritization
- Solid command of SQL
- Experience with AWS DynamoDB
- Prior experience designing and implementing databases and database schemas
The work is generally performed in an office environment. Physical demands include sitting, keyboarding, verbal communication, written communication. Employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Effectual Inc. - An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.