About the Position
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer Team Lead to join Flywheel’s busy and collaborative backend development team. This is a unique opportunity to work with a dedicated and growing team building large scale APIs, SDKs, and CLIs for sharing and curating scientific and medical data and associated metadata. Tools that your team builds will be used to empower scientists and researchers to enhance their workflow efficiency and sharing capabilities. Successful applicants will have a passion for problem-solving, elevating others around them, and delivering quality results. This role requires a strong application development background with leadership experience. The team works with a variety of technologies, including:
Python 3 APIs, specifically FastAPI
Cloud providers: AWS, GCS
SearchDocker and Kubernetes
Git, Unit and Integration testing, CI/CD a plus, specifically Gitlab
Work closely with a growing team of engineers and business stakeholders. The development team operates within a lightweight Agile process and is empowered to alter it as needed to achieve team and company objectives. We’re highly responsive to customer needs and constantly strive to make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success and satisfaction over other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment – constantly generating and sharing new ideas and solutions with the team.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Directly lead and manage a small team of engineers, primarily focused on backend technologies, such as Python and Go.
- Mentor other engineers and share knowledge in a variety of forms.
- Maintain and improve the backend services of Flywheel’s imaging research platform, written primarily in Python.
- Design and build new services as required for new features with a focus on scalability.
- Work with Product Management and Quality Assurance teams to develop features and improvements to the Flywheel products and services that exhibit quality and efficiency.
- Help your team set and meet standards in code quality and testing.
- Debug software or service issues reported by users and author fixes.
- Collaborate daily across a geographically dispersed development team.
What would make you a great fit
- Proven track record of elevating and mentoring other engineers.
- Derive satisfaction from clearing roadblocks for others.
- Ability to facilitate healthy debate around technical issues.
- Strong application development skills.
- Strong knowledge of API best practices.
- Direct experience building APIs, SDKs and/or CLIs.
- Experience building services that handle large file transfers and interact with cloud storage services like GCS, S3, etc.
- Feel passionate about writing quality code.
- Plan with an eye towards details and edge cases.
- Thrive in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Have a habit of documentation to share your knowledge and learn from past mistakes.
- Driven by curiosity and creative problem solving. Have an urge for delivering to deadline and iterating fast.
- Keep customers top-of-mind.
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that's transforming the way biomedical and imaging data are managed at leading life sciences, clinical, and academic institutions globally.
Flywheel provides a comprehensive research data solution with all the tools needed for curation, imaging processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
GO STEADY WITH LEVITY
The alchemy of effective teamwork happens when we each take ownership of both the menial and the magical every day. We’re serious, but never stuffy. We keep our cool under pressure because we assume best intentions and maintain perspective. This allows for true teamwork, with a dash of irreverence.
WORK BETTER TOGETHER
We are tenacious and united in our pursuit of solving our customers’ biggest challenges, and no challenge is too big. Diverse backgrounds across our team make us more effective as we listen, absorb, collaborate, and iterate to innovate.
FIGURE IT OUT
We’re obsessed with uncovering the why of any given. Having an open mind allows us to be quick to fail and quick to adapt. We relentlessly pursue continual improvement through learning and imagining new possibilities.
GIVE A SHIT
We’re fueled by grit, boundless energy, and a deep belief that we are doing cool shit. We don’t hesitate to stand up and speak out because we trust that through tough, honest discourse we can drive change and make a real difference for our customers and our mission.
More Information on Flywheel.io
Flywheel.io operates in the Analytics industry. The company is located in Minneapolis, MN. Flywheel.io was founded in 2022. It has 72 total employees. To see all 11 open jobs at Flywheel.io, click here.
Read Full Job Description