Backend Software Engineer I at Curriculum Associates
At Curriculum Associates, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Curriculum Associates is a privately owned, rapidly growing education company committed to making classrooms better places for teachers and students. We believe that all children have the chance to succeed, and this drives the decisions our engineering, product development, and service teams make every day. Our award-winning products, including cloud-based i-Ready®, provide teachers and administrators with flexible resources that deliver meaningful assessments and data-driven, differentiated instruction for children. We serve millions of students with our i-Ready®, Ready®, and BRIGANCE® programs because of our laser focus on our customers’ needs over our own bottom line, and a belief that thoughtful and continuous innovation leads to a positive impact on classrooms and measurable growth for students.
We are seeking a highly qualified Software Engineer with some experience in Spark Big Data and microservice technologies. The Software Engineer will work on an engineering team and will be responsible for contributing to design, and development of data pipelines with advanced transformation features, and microservices on cloud infrastructure following Agile methodologies.
The impact you’ll have:
- Build scalable, efficient, and high-performance data pipelines and workflows that are capable of processing millions of events
- Build APIs & micro-services that expose i-Ready features to internal applications
- Design and develop data ingestion, aggregation, integration, filtering and advanced transformations in Apache Spark & Hadoop
- Do performance analysis and capacity planning for our growing clusters in both big data and traditional platforms
- Develop automated unit tests and integration tests for your code, as well as review the code of others to ensure quality. Establish sound coding and testing practices to ensure quality software builds.
- Work effectively as part of an Agile team.
- Bring new and innovative solutions to the table to resolve challenging software issues as they may develop throughout the product life cycle.
- You have 2+ years of experience working as a software engineer or a bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- You are passionate about producing clean, maintainable, robust, well-tested code and have some experience with JUnit or ScalaTest
- Zeal to learn and grow and have academic and internship/co-op experience to demonstrate it
- You have experience working with SQL as well as sound knowledge of HTTP, REST APIs, Security, and databases.
- Good technical foundation in software development languages such as Java, Spring Boot, Scala etc.
- Experience in designing and developing big data solutions
- You enjoy solving complex problems in efficient and creative ways.
We’d also love to see:
- Experience working with containers like Docker and AWS cloud services
- Knowledge in stream processing technologies such as Apache Kafka, Apache Spark
- Experience with educational software.
Location: Greensboro, NC
Compensation & benefits: Competitive salary with great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, employer contributed 401K.