The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This Backend Engineering Manager for our Pipeline Execution group is 100% remote.
As a Backend Engineering Manager in our Pipeline Execution group within the Verify stage, you'll manage a team of Backend Engineers who develop work on a number of features on GitLab CI, make improvements to better scale the CI system, and support our Merge Trains feature. The development effort is predominantly done in Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.What you'll do in this role
- Manage the Backend Engineers in the Pipeline Execution group
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to help inform planning and author project plans for epics
- Work with other team members (e.g. our Frontend Engineers, Product leadership, UX Designer, Software Engineering in Test) to ensure the team direction is clear and the team is delivering value aligned with business needs
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to do technical interviews
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration tooling and workflows. Bonus points if you have hands-on experience integrating with CI systems previously
- Experience scaling systems, or worked with performance and reliability challenges at scale, especially in a SaaS offering.
- Experience improving database performance
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager with a servant leadership mindset
- Technical credibility: The team works in Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and with GraphQL. We don't need an expert in these areas. However, it's important you are aware of these technologies and are able to discuss technical rationale and reasoning with your direct reports.
- Exquisite brokering skills: you'll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Backend Engineering Manager position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.