Rune Labs is a software and data analytics company for precision neurology, supporting care delivery and therapy development, advancing data-driven therapies for diseases such as Parkinson's, MS, OCD, and other neurological conditions . Rune aims to fill the gap in software and data support for next-generation neuroscience therapeutics, and expand the benefits of precision medicine to the millions of patients with neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. We're revenue-generating and well-funded by top-tier investors .
Rune's first-in-class precision brain data software platform integrates electrophysiology, brain imaging, and device data together with wearable data and clinical labels. The combination provides researchers, drug developers, and clinicians with the tools to guide treatment, uncover hidden disease phenotypes, and design better-targeted therapies.
StrivePD is our care delivery ecosystem for Parkinson's disease , enabling patients and clinicians to better manage Parkinson's by providing access to curated dashboards summarizing a range of patient data sources, and by connecting patients to clinical trials. For therapeutics development, biopharma and medical device companies leverage Rune's technology, network of engaged clinicians and patients, and large longitudinal real-world datasets to expedite development programs.
This role is an opportunity to do challenging work on our cloud platform, which handles biometric data recorded directly from inside the human brain (you read right), medical wearables, and our mobile apps.
United States: $155,000-165,000 USD + benefits and equity
Canada: $145-$155,000 CAD + benefits and equity
- Design, implement, test, and maintain software for our cloud platform. You will work on APIs and distributed microservices that power our patient-facing mobile app, clinical support tool, and datascience workflows.
- Share responsibility for production. We're not perfect, but our infrastructure is fully automated and our stack instrumented with observability, CI/CD, and strong security practices. You will be responsible for upholding and improving these practices, including writing tests, validating your work, and participating in daily production deploys.
- Mentor and be mentored. Give and receive thoughtful feedback on feature design, code reviews, and more.
- Balance short- and long-term technical priorities. You will work with Product, Project Managers, and other engineers to understand and clarify requirements for the projects you are working on. You will help establish tradeoffs between short- and long-term priorities, so that we can deliver reliable new features, lay groundwork for scaling our platform, and keep tech debt to a minimum.
- Be part of a culture of explicit ethical consideration. We apply these considerations to ourselves, our team, and the patients whose data we are entrusted with.
- At least 2 years as a backend software engineer, building cloud-native applications (we're on AWS).
- Professional experience with a strongly-typed language (we use Go) or an interpreted language (we use Python and Ruby)
- A track record of using unit and integration testing frameworks to provide high test coverage for your projects. Direct experience working on at least one of the following kinds of projects:
- GraphQL, RESTful, or gRPC APIs
- Asynchronous/job-based execution (e.g. queues, pub/sub, web sockets)
- Writing code that handles sensitive data (e.g. medical, emergency services, financial)
- Storing and querying timeseries data
- Processing large amounts of data iteratively.
- Your code is well-commented, well-structured, readable, and maintainable by another human being. You have a strong sense of ownership, but don't growl anytime someone comes near your code.
- A strong belief in automated unit, integration, and performance testing.
- Diligent about monitoring your features and services in production.
- You are eager to help teammates brainstorm and debug (and willing to ask for help when you need it) and you take the time to explain your thoughts and opinions, without being dismissive, condescending, or patronizing.
- Comfortable working on a remote team, which is distributed across timezones (mostly in North America).
- You must reside and be authorized to work in either the U.S. or Canada.
- We are a fully remote team within the US and Canada. We ask everyone to be available in general for collective team meeting hours from 10-3 Pacific (1-6 Eastern) daily. If you're in San Francisco, our pet-friendly office is just a block from Golden Gate Park.
- Full health, vision, and dental benefits for you and your dependents. Check out our benefits details here .
More About Us
We look for strong alignment with Rune's values: learn about our work culture and expectations at Rune on our website . We are committed to treating each other well, building a diverse and representative team, and continually working to improve the cooperation and inclusivity of our org. Anyone meeting the minimum requirements for an open role is strongly encouraged to apply.