Backend Engineer III at Stash (Remote)
Want to help everyday Americans build wealth? Financial inequality is increasing and too many people are getting left behind. At Stash, we believe in the power of simplifying investing, making it easy and affordable for everyday Americans to build wealth and achieve their financial goals.
We’re one of the fastest growing fintechs in the U.S. and have had another record-breaking year. In 2021 we almost doubled our headcount and valuation. Our personal finance app makes investing easy and affordable; this year 6 million customers set aside more than $3 billion with Stash.
Prioritizing People is one of our core values and has been key to a healthy work-life balance and a great sense of fulfillment and inclusion. We employ a true people first - hybrid model. Live and work where you feel the most productive, whether that is in your home, in an office, or a combination of both. Anywhere in the US or UK.
Let’s solve complex problems and tackle wealth inequality.
Stash is looking for Software Engineers with a passion for building reliable, scalable, and performant software to power the Stash experience.
In the Grow Wealth focus area, our mission is to empower our customers to achieve their long-term financial goals, by providing personalized investing advice and experiences that make them feel excited and confident to get started and continue building healthy investment portfolios.
As a new member of this team, you’ll help us execute on exciting projects like adding crypto investments to our platform, helping our customers better understand how to diversify their holdings, and automating the actual trading process of buying and selling investments.
Our team is always experimenting with new languages and technologies, but most of our existing stack uses Ruby, Go, and Kotlin.
At Stash we use a variety of different languages, frameworks, tools, and vendors to accomplish our goals. We use the right tool for the job when it comes to reaching for tech that will solve whatever challenge we're facing. Stronger versus more relaxed type system and type checking, functional versus procedural programming, etc. We make deliberate decisions that we feel will help our platform grow and mature and support more and more customers.
We hire the best engineers regardless of programming language or background. We have invested (and continue to invest in) our onboarding process so even if you join with no specific tech experience, you’ll have the time and space to learn. We consider Stash a learning organisation and work hard to allow Engineers the time and the space to learn and grow. We encourage tech experimentation and continuous improvement.
If you’re interested in solving complex problems associated with scaling a popular consumer facing application and working in an open, diverse, and inclusive environment, then we think Stash is the right fit for you!
What you’ll do:
- Architect, design, and implement backend services, data processing, and vendor integrations
- Own the end to end delivery of software from inception to production
- Instrument, test, profile, and code review software
- Continuously deploy to our cloud-based infrastructure
- Scale software infrastructure for a quickly-growing user base
What we’re looking for:
- 2 - 4 years of professional experience building backend software
- An experienced engineer who can turn ideas into reliable code that others find easy to understand and modify
- Experience building backend APIs and services in a highly collaborative team setting
- Creative problem solver with a passion for testing, debugging, and overall code quality
- Experience with event-based architectures
- Familiarity with or interest in docker, AWS, Terraform, Datadog
- Data-driven decision maker, willing to take risks, fail fast, and iterate quickly
- A keen understanding of testing best practices
- Familiarity with or interest in Ruby, Go, and Kotlin
- Experience building applications at scale
- Familiarity with or interest in Kubernetes, Consul, multi-region systems, multi-cloud design
- Familiarity with or interest in other areas of our stack including Spinnaker, CI/CD pipelines, Nginx, TypeScript, React, Node.js, Postgres, SNS/SQS, Kafka, Kubernetes, AWS
At Stash it is our mission to help everyday Americans invest and build wealth. That includes people of all races, genders, and abilities, so it is important to us to acknowledge and address the issues of inequality in financial services head on.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products. Our success is directly related to our employees and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.
If you require any reasonable accommodations to make your application process more accessible please reach out to [email protected].
Invest in Yourself:
- Equity & Stash Accounts [Invest, Retire, Custodial, Bank]
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Fund
- Work from Home Stipends
- Parental Leave [Primary & Secondary]
- BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Best Digital Bank, Finovate Awards (2020)
- Tearsheet Challenge Awards, Best Banking Card Product - Stock-Back® Card, 2020
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019 & 2020)
**No recruiters, please**