At Alma, we’re making it easier for people to access high quality, affordable mental health care by supporting providers in building thriving private practices. We believe that when therapists have better resources, they’re able to provide better care to their clients. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Our product experience is designed to empower people in their search for mental health care, offering multiple pathways and individualized support, if and when someone needs it. Alma has raised funding from incredible investors like Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, and First Round Capital, and was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Health in 2020.
Alma is seeking a mission-driven Backend Engineer to join our team. We are dedicated to building tools and services which help our providers more easily manage and grow their practice. In this role, you will be building the technical foundations that help solve real problems for mental health providers. The ideal candidate is able to recognize that successful software development requires communication, experimentation, and iteration.
We are building a new Core Team, which will create and manage the foundational layers, building blocks, and shared components used in the development of Alma systems and products. They will work cross-functionally with other technology driven teams to understand and prioritize solutions that will benefit the development of Alma products the most.
On this team, you will have a strong hand in defining Alma's services and architecture. The ideal person for this role loves to collaborate with other technical teams to design and build amazing systems.What you’ll do:
- Gain a deep understanding of what Alma staff and product engineering teams do, how they operate, and where their pain points are.
- Design, develop, and implement maintainable and scalable product foundations using modern web technologies (Python, Django, MySQL, Linux).
- Develop internal-facing features around onboarding, scheduling, billing, and client management.
- Collaborate with Alma teammates, PMs, and designers to conceptualize and build solutions for practical problems facing Alma teams.
- Ensure applications and services meet Alma's standards for software including performance, scalability, and security.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an engineer with a proven history of working across the stack and building products at scale.
- You have extensive experience with web technologies. We are language agnostic in our interviews but require experience with one or more common web frameworks.
- You've got an understanding of accessibility and security compliance.
- You have implemented automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- You possess a proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- You enjoy customer-centered software development and collaborating closely with a team of engineers, designers, and product managers.
- You have a desire to experiment (succeed or fail), and use research and data, where appropriate, to make data-driven decisions.