The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This position is remote based.
Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs, and generally improving the application. The Global Search team is focused on bringing world class search functionality to GitLab.com and self-managed instances with Elasticsearch.
The Global Search team members are experienced Ruby and GoLang developers who focus on implementing core search functions by employing Elasticsearch. They are also advising other development teams on best practices of leveraging Global Search capabilities (e.g. indexing and searching various product feature contents).
Some of the work the team did in the past which may give you more insight into this position
- Elasticsearch lessons learnt for Advanced Global Search
- Zero downtime reindexing
- Split search scope into each own index
- Advanced Search Background Migrations for Elasticsearch Indexing
What You can Expect to Work on:
- Building best in class search experience for GitLab customers and users
- Improve and implement our indexing and searching strategies
- Own architecture, performance and scaling of the GitLab search solutions with Elasticsearch and other search engines.
- Build responsive and scalable services and APIs
- Self-managed installation mechanisms
- Strong professional work experience in Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Proficient in Golang or willing to learn on the job.
- Elasticsearch or other search engine experience - modeling, processing, nodes, index management and performance tuning.
- Understand Database principles and optimization mechanisms, especially PostgreSQL.
- Understand system internals, distributed system and high availability principles.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Share a set of GitLab values and work in accordance with those values.
- Experience working with a remote team or ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools.
- Work experience in product company.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $89,600 - $195,800 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.