Backend Developer at Pocket Worlds (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 2:15 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, April 26, 2022
About Pocket Worlds
We harness the power of virtual worlds and the metaverse to connect people. We build deep, rich virtual worlds that are social by design and last for decades. Our first world, Highrise, is a creative 2D isometric world where people make avatars, express themselves, and create deep friendships along the way. Over 10 million people have already joined the world of Highrise, and it's growing faster every day.
We're a completely remote company with a diverse set of employees spanning 16 different countries. We are connected by a singular mission of building amazing games that bring our players together, and we live by our values, which you can read here.
Join our world class team who've shipped amazing products for Apple, Google, Electronic Arts, Zeptolab, Nanobit, and other top companies.
About the Role
Are you a server-side developer with a keen interest in reliable solutions? Is Python your language? Do you want a challenging role that goes beyond backend development and includes infrastructure and operations problems?
If you answered yes to all of the above, you should join our fast-growing team!
We are looking for a Backend Engineer who will focus on backend development in Python and will be working on the reliability, efficiency, and scalability of our systems. As a member of our small team, you will have a lot of independence and responsibilities.
This role, along with our entire company, is fully remote.
As a Backend Developer you will...:
- Design and maintain systems that are robust, flexible, and performant
- Be responsible for building complex and high-scale systems
- Prototype new gameplay ideas and concepts
- Develop server tools for game features and live operations
- Be one of five backend engineers on our small and fast moving team
- Work alongside our C++, Android, and iOS developers
- Contribute to ideas and design for new features
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to…:
- Have 2+ years of experience in Python development
- Be familiar with common database access patterns
- Be able to work well in a remote development environment
- Be able to communicate in English at a native speaking and writing level
- Be responsible to your fellow remote team members
- Be highly communicative and go out of your way to contribute to the team and help others
- Bonus: Experience with async Python
- Bonus: Have knowledge of AWS, Kubernetes, and Docker
- Bonus: Have experience with designing systems and monitoring metrics, looking at graphs
Within 3 months, you'll…:
- Complete several PRs in various parts of the system
- Become familiar with the codebase and understand the backend architecture
- Contribute to the development process with new improvement ideas
- Assist other team members to work with the backend
Within 6 months, you'll...:
- Be able to contribute new features as well as maintain existing code
- Contribute to the direction of Highrise, both in terms of product and technical
- Come up with refactoring ideas to improve backend cost and performance
- Home office stipend. Haven't worked remotely before? We offer a generous stipend to help you set up a productive workspace.
- Competitive salaries and significant equity.
- Unlimited Vacation policy. Time off is important - we encourage you to take the time you need.
- Education stipend. We deeply believe in learning and self improvement. We've set aside a budget for every employee to learn additional skills and grow.
More Information on Pocket Worlds
Pocket Worlds operates in the Gaming industry. The company is located in San Antonio, TX. Pocket Worlds was founded in 2015. It has 48 total employees. To see all 21 open jobs at Pocket Worlds, click here.
Read Full Job Description