AV Testing Senior Engineer at Motional (Las Vegas, NV)
The Test Engineering team at Motional plays a critical role in testing Autonomous Vehicle functionality, safety and performance. It is part of your role to test our comprehensive stack of tools comprising the latest technologies in the AV industry. You will be contributing to the testing infrastructure by creating testing frameworks and contributing to existing ones to provide test coverage and confidence to our systems.
As a Senior Engineer in AV Test Engineering you will be responsible for mentoring junior test engineers & test specialists while establishing a great rapport with peers in order to evolve the automation infrastructure and evangelize the importance of automated tests in our tools realm. You will be collaborating with cross-functional areas within the organization to understand requirements and use cases of internally developed tools and develop comprehensive test plans and procedures.
The Motional Las Vegas office is located less than 10 miles from the Las Vegas strip at 730 E Pilot Road, the Las Vegas office is home to one of the largest fleets of self-driving vehicles. The city’s grid system of roads and being one of America’s “smart cities” allows for extensive research and development testing.
What you’ll do:
- Design and run test cases for visualization and simulation tools used throughout the organization to execute and review the performance of the autonomy stack
- Create and support a robust test automation framework to provide dependable test execution and results reporting
- Develop and maintain test automation cases in Pytest, Squish and other test automation tools
- Work with teams to understand automation requirements for autonomy capability scenarios
- Maintain an evolving automation test suite to reflect target coverage of the autonomy stack
- Contribute to a high-performance team that fosters a zero-defect, quality-first mindset
- Understand system requirements and write test cases to confirm that requirements are fully met
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm
- Review simulation test scenarios to validate predicted autonomous vehicle behavior at a high level.
- Be fluent in software applications such as Confluence, Jira & GSuite
- Support smart city infrastructure for internal business needs
- Conduct field operations to support validation
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years implementing and maintaining test automation frameworks
- Proven experience with Python-based tooling including Pytest and Squish
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering, Robotics, ECE, Computer Science or relevant field
- Excellent knowledge of software development processes, testing processes, and QA Tools
- Experience with test engineering, recursive testing and system testing
- Experience with Linux and programming languages (Python, Bash/Shell)
- Experience using issue tracking software or tools is preferred (Atlassian Confluence, Jira, GitLab)
- Experience in technical writing, technical drawings, and documentation of mechatronics systems is preferred
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to think logically and remove bias from evaluation of problems
- High level of accuracy and attention to details
- Experience in technical writing, technical drawings and documentation of mechatronics systems is preferred
- Flexible schedule and willing to attend evening/night meetings
- Enthusiasm for the AV industry as well as safety/mobility
Bonus Points (not required):
- Experience in the automotive industry or a fleet
- Experience with testing of vehicle subsystems or features (esp. L2-L5 systems)
- Experience in using issue tracking software or tools is preferred (esp. Atlassian Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket)
- Basic understanding of robotics systems including sensors, actuators, mechanical and software systems is a plus
- Understanding of industry standards such as ISO26262, ISO21448, and ISO9001 is preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and at times for long periods; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
Because interfacing with the public and/or other employees in a confined setting is an essential function of the job, Motional currently requires those performing this role to be fully vaccinated. Anyone hired into this role should be vaccinated by their start date. Motional is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, road conditions, and pedestrian traffic. The team member is regularly exposed to mechanical and computer parts. The team member is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles. The noise level in the environment is low to moderate.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.