Autonomy Engineer at Shield AI
| San Diego, CA
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:31 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, April 26, 2022
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to advance this nation’s core values by providing the United States and our allies access to leading technologies and innovations. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies. Most recently, we acquired Heron Systems and Martin UAV as wholly owned subsidiaries of Shield AI. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems.
Are you a passionate and innovative autonomy engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
Planning and Controls (PAC) is an agile group of engineers focused on researching and developing state-of-the-art algorithms that drive intelligent and confidence-inspiring flight behaviors while accounting for an uncertain and dynamic world.
As a member of PAC, you will work at the intersection of artificial intelligence, task & motion planning, and controls. You will develop technology grounded in first principles and see it take flight, while working with a close-knit team of diverse talents. Your core challenge is to design and implement control laws that enable safe, smooth, and fast flight in the presence of exogenous disturbances for various UAS groups.
What you'll do:
- You will be collaborating with a team of dedicated individuals while taking ownership of specific features within the planning and controls stack
- Research, design, and implement state of the art control algorithms for real time autonomous systems
- Take new features from ideation to prototyping, full implementation, flight testing, and all the way to field deployment
- Develop tools for rapid prototypes, simulation, visualisation, etc.
- Participate in brainstorm sessions and software design for challenging issues
- Develop your professional skills and knowledge via regular literature reviews and self-directed learning
Projects you might work on:
- Some projects include:
- Non-linear model predictive control
- Online learning of unmodeled dynamics
- Obstacle avoidance with limited sensor observability
- Multi-agent trajectory planning
- BS in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or related engineering fields and 5+ years of professional experience OR MS in relevant engineering field with 2+ years of professional experience
- Experience with state-of-the-art algorithms in: adaptive controls, robust controls, model predictive controls, dynamics modeling, system identification
- Experience tuning control systems in simulation and with hardware
- Strong C++ and Matlab programmer, experienced in developing clean code and architecture
- Passion for solving complex problems in a fast-moving environment
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Familiarity with git, bash, Python
- MS / PhD in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or related engineering fields and 5+ years of professional experience in similar fields
- Experience with optimization, motion planning, graph search
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, familiarity with continuous integration & delivery, test-driven development
- Familiarity with ROS / PX4, CMake, Bazel
- Familiarity with embedded systems and programming
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
More Information on Shield AI
Shield AI operates in the Artificial Intelligence industry. The company is located in San Diego, CA, Arlington, VA and Prosper, TX. Shield AI was founded in 2015. It has 365 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Volunteer in local community, Friends outside of work, Eat lunch together, Intracompany committees, Daily sync and Open door policy. To see all 23 open jobs at Shield AI, click here.
Read Full Job Description