Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies. Most recently, we acquired Heron Systems and Martin UAV as wholly owned subsidiaries of Shield AI. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems.
Are you a passionate and innovative autonomy engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Planning and Controls (PAC) team is an agile group of engineers focused on researching and developing state-of-the-art algorithms that drive intelligent and confidence-inspiring flight behaviors while accounting for an uncertain and dynamic world.
As a member of PAC Mission, you will work on task planning both for single robots as well as teams of robots. You will develop cutting edge algorithms while working with a close-knit team from diverse backgrounds. Your focus will primarily be on architecting and implementing coordination of robot teams and supporting cross-platform core planning capabilities.
What you’ll do:
Research, design, and implement state of the art teaming algorithms for real time autonomous systems
Take new features from ideation to prototyping, full implementation, flight testing, and all the way to field deployment
Develop tools for rapid prototypes, simulation, visualization, etc.
Participate in brainstorm sessions and software design for challenging issues
Develop your professional skills and knowledge via regular literature reviews and self-directed learning
Work in a collaborative development environment, with an emphasis on continuous integration & delivery, test-driven development
Work with middleware frameworks (e.g. ROS, PX4, etc.), build tools (e.g. CMake, Bazel), and compiler toolchains (e.g. gcc, llvm)
Projects that you might work on:
- Design and implement an Executive Manager for single agents and heterogeneous teams
- Decompose user objectives into Tasks for robots to execute
- Develop Task Assignment algorithms for robotic teams that are resilient to robots operating with degraded functionality
- BS in computer science or related engineering field with 2+ years of professional experience OR MS in relevant engineering field
- Experience with research or state-of-the-art algorithms in at least one of the following areas: Task and Motion Planning, Planning under Uncertainty, Task & Resource Allocation, Heterogeneous or Homogeneous Robotic Teaming, Human Robot Teaming, Logistical Planning of Vehicle Routes
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- You have strong communication skills and are able to effectively articulate ideas and timelines to cross-functional groups
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.