Associate Director of Software Engineering at Chewy (Miami, FL)
Chewy is hiring an Associate Director for our Pet Health Engineering team. This is a high-profile leadership position with exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for this new business. Chewy has a unique Pet Health ecosystem – selling prescriptions and vet diet, compounding (prescription manufacturing), insurance, vet video appointments – connected to our huge retail business. In this role you will lead a team of strong engineers and other disciplines (Test, TPM) to build services for Chewy’s pet health platform. The role will have tremendous visibility in the technology & business organization of Chewy.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a team of software engineers and other disciplines responsible for building Chewy’s Pet Health platform
- Recruit and hire new engineers and mentor the growth of the existing team
- Drive technical decisions and work with product management and across non-technical organizations to prioritize and drive engineering investments.
- Review implementations, provide feedback for managers and individual contributors
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams
- Collaborate on design and implementation of scalable environments for development and testing
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall corporate objectives, drive 1, 2 and 3 year plans.
- Work with others in Engineering Management to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production deployment
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree (MIS or CS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing significant software development projects (APIs, data stores, rules engines, scaling web application development)
- Ability to turn complex challenges into organized, scaling, technical solution
- 5-10 years of experience in Software Development as a software engineer
- 3+ years of experience in Engineering Management, experience managing one or more 7+ person teams through multiple large/complex release cycles.
- Solid fundamental background in multiple testing disciplines (e.g. APIs, Functional UI testing, Performance testing, data-oriented systems test, distributed systems, etc)
- Familiarity with multiple technology stacks including both static and dynamic programming languages (we primarily use Java, but are not limited to Java/JVM tools), as well as building data pipelines.
- Proven delivery experience working under an Agile/Scrum methodology
- Must be more than proficient at both written and spoken English
- Experience working with very large data sets and Data Science methodologies
- Experience driving cross-team engineering excellence initiatives
- Understanding of Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- Experience building applications using AWS services
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members. If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, and you need an accommodation during the application process or to perform these job requirements, or if you need a religious accommodation, please contact [email protected]
If you have a question regarding your application, please contact [email protected]